Game Ideas: Your Thoughts

JustinFic: I probably should have said "coding for" instead of "thinking of" 3D. My problem with going for 2D is not just because I don't think it would complement the game, but also because I would have to re-code all the stuff I have now, mainly the physics. I would have to dump ODE and implement something like Chipmunk. Also, I have been working on skeletal animation using 4x4 matrices, which won't work in 2D.

Now, I don't think there is anything wrong with 2D games. In fact, I think it would be very fun to make a 2D game. But this particular game would look and feel best in a 3D setting(not to mention I want to use the code I've been working on!). Thank you for your input, though. If you can explain how you think this would work in 2D, or would work better in 2D, I will consider adopting it. Once again, thanks for all the input!
Quote this message in a reply
Man With No Name Wrote:but also because I would have to re-code all the stuff I have now, mainly the physics. I would have to dump ODE and implement something like Chipmunk. Also, I have been working on skeletal animation using 4x4 matrices, which won't work in 2D.

My bad- if you've got the code for it already in place, go for it. I misread and thought you were starting from zero.

There's still a few reasons to consciously go for 2d as opposed to just code limitations, but if your vision is in 3d and you have the engine to make it happen then don't go against that.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 14,719 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Space Based Games... Why are they not as popular? Your thoughts... carmine 5 5,759 Nov 7, 2008 11:10 PM
Last Post: TythosEternal
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,867 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,416 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown
  Spaceships strategy game ideas Achenar 1 3,922 Jun 26, 2005 02:18 AM
Last Post: sealfin