Text based graphics game mmorpg.

MetalMouth
Unregistered

So I realise you guys had alot of posts about this and some of you get a bit annoyed with it, but unlike some others you may get pissed off about, I read the sticky.

It says that you need a big budget to make mmorpg?
Can anyone please give me a clearer answer, like what the money is used for and how much I would need to start of with?

I don't see how it could cost myself that much as I don't see what i'm paying for, I have an idea which I think is very catchy and will be very popular so i'm going to run with it for the sake of it.

As i'm in college at the moment I have many friends there that are in games designs and graphics, I also am friends with a coder of a mmorpg he made himself at 15 which he's made thousands from in premium and upgrades - these will all help me free of charge.
Obviously if it goes well and the game catches on they will be rewarded as they are good friends.

Also, in the sticky I noticed to learn some programming but start of with games like pong, no i'm not into the whole 3d moving mmorpgs which i'm not sure if thats what the sticky is about, I myself prefer text games with quite a bit of graphics so there would be no need to get very expensive software and hire great coders (?)

I myself can design it all as I have a rather vivid imagination and i'm good at writing fantasy storys (for quests) and things.
I've also played so many of these games I can be considered an ultra-geek so I know everything there is to know about the layout of the games and which works best - from my previous experiences in what I myself like.

So at the moment I have

The layout sorted
The story line sorted
Coders
Graphic designers
Writer

I'm curious what else I need - apart from a website and a name Wacko

Thankyou for reading from what I imagine is a very long, boring and possibly pointless thread.
All replies are very much appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
You need to start making the game, instead of asking questions. The comment about pong in the sticky is just that, don't ask, don't prepare, just do something. That hint is there because many people with no experience seem to think that asking about what to do will get them closer to a finished product. It won't. Only trying, failing, and retrying (about a thousand to a million times) will get you to a point where you actually can say:
Quote:I know everything there is to know about the layout of the games and which works best
Well, mostly the money would be used for really big servers and upkeep. They are very expensive to keep going 24/7.

I'm confused about what you're making. Is this going to be a 2D or 3D game?
PatrickA Wrote:Well, mostly the money would be used for really big servers and upkeep.

If you get the game completed and have enough demand that you need 'really big servers and upkeep', you can probably find the money.

That's a loaded 'if' though.
Shivers Wrote:If you get the game completed and have enough demand that you need 'really big servers and upkeep', you can probably find the money.

Well, even managed hosting for a single machine can be pretty costly for say.. a poor college student. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I almost certainly will be corrected), but a dedicated machine will easily cost several hundred USD a month.

A dreamhost private server, where you are throttled to a few 100 mb of ram and a certain fraction of processor cycles could be $40 a month. Something like that is almost certainly sufficient to run a small RPG style MMO.
Right now, the salaries of the development team and the licensing of engines are going to be your major costs, not servers/bandwidth. You can't host a game that doesn't exist.

If you have a team willing to work for no pay, and you can get around the need for an expensive engine (for example, being text based means you probably only need code for entity management and networking), then you're off to a good start.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Apprentice
I would consider anyone who has pulled off an MMO a great programmer in their own right. Programmers typically are not cheap either. My biggest suggestion to you to cut your costs is to learn how to program. There are many game engines out there that have simplified scripting languages.

You might be able to pull a band of friends together, some with art skills and some with programing skills, etc. The trouble with these groups is their whimsical nature. They have a tendency to break apart. The only solid way to keep a group together is money, and even this can get shaky under poor work conditions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help to make an online text-based rpg game just_gabe 0 4,799 Dec 6, 2009 04:13 PM
Last Post: just_gabe
  How to Design a Text Based MMORPG? SpireGames 3 5,540 Mar 23, 2009 01:40 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Creating a text mmorpg, engines? xVenomx 3 5,556 Jul 26, 2007 08:13 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  I Have my text-based mmorpg set up just need function.php fixed htmlgary 1 3,105 Jul 12, 2007 01:07 AM
Last Post: Taxxodium
  Need Help Making Text Based MMORPG Burak 6 7,494 Jan 24, 2007 06:14 PM
Last Post: azoundria