How to register a domain

I registered a domain name with GoDaddy, intending to use it with a free website hosting provider, but when I tried to transfer it, the free hosting provider had something on the transfer page that said you have to wait 60 days. Is this true or am I misreading it? If so, is there some way to get the domain name set up with a free hosting provider without waiting 60 days?Sad
Quote this message in a reply
This is usually not true.. but if it's some crazy rule by the free hosting provider, so be it. Who are you hosting it with?
As it happens, I transferred my company's domain this afternoon. I had to fax a written authorisation to the original hosts, but once they had that and understood what we wanted them to do, it took a couple of minutes. It may take another 24 hours to properly propagate, but we seem to be mostly transferred alerady.
Backlash, that reminds me of this one:
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Security...rhead.aspx
Quote:Backlash, that reminds me of this one:
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Secu...etterhead.aspx

Funny.LOL

I was using Mister.net hosting. So is there some way to to transfer the domain without having to fax/Print/Do other tech-savvy stuff? Please?
From the GoDaddy site…

ICANN regulations prohibit transferring a domain name that has been registered or previously transferred within the last 60 days.

Does this mean what I think it means?Huh
Probably, although I don't know absolutely for sure what you think it means. Wink What it does mean is that if you register a domain today, you can't transfer for 60 days.

Andy, that is very true (except that we do have headed paper). Strangely, a guy from the old hosting company phoned me back to have a cry about how it was so unfair that we were leaving them and if we'd only talked to them we could have worked out the problems. Honestly!
They've never been so keen to talk to me before.
Are you sure (pository) that you need to transfer the domain? You should be able to just change the name-servers to point to those of your free hosting.
Shivers Wrote:Are you sure (pository) that you need to transfer the domain? You should be able to just change the name-servers to point to those of your free hosting.

Actually, I found out that GoDaddy has a free hosting plan. Problem solved!
Good point Shivers. A transfer is moving from one registrar to another. You can usually change where it points without a transfer. Although, when I had a domain with edatarack, they refused to let me administer my domain. I called ICANN and I think they are candidates for getting their domain registrar rights revoked. I hope they do.