Steam for Mac?

FreakSoftware Wrote:If that were possible, I'd imagine it'd be an overall plus (sales increase) for the gaming market. LOL

Ya, I can't imagine much if anything bad about Steam on Mac. Steam will legitimize the platform in many people's eyes and that alone will be good for Mac gaming and Mac game developers - even if their games never make it to Steam.
Quote this message in a reply

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
The question was: "Is it free?"

(Jul 26, 2010 09:04 PM)cmiller Wrote:  Yes.

http://www.steampowered.com/

Rats, that was a bot, sorry. I wonder if we're using some kind of captcha for new accounts on this new forum? I haven't looked recently.
Having just spent a post office move fortnight without anything other than dialup access I can say there's a definite flaw in the Steam model.

If you're offline, or don't want to update 30mb of Steam interface data every time you play a game then you're pretty much stuffed. Steam only works when you're fully hooked up to broadband and all the games you bought are online only, even when they're cool offline, solo games like Torchlight.
Luminary
You can put steam into "offline mode"... does that not work for you?
Unfortunately no as I couldn't access it until it had finished 'updating' (something it decided it needed every time it was launched).

My main complaint is that the play any of the games I've bought on Steam I have to launch Steam first. I can't just double click them and run them. Imagine if you had to launch iTunes each time you wanted to play an iPhone game!

[edit]
in fact even now I have broadband again, Steam can't connect and clicking the "Start in Offline mode" just quits the app. That's more bug than overall concept design flaw, but it's still annoying.