old computer software

anddrew
Unregistered

hey, im interested in older 3d computer software.

ive been re-playing all my old psx games (breath of fire 3, clock tower, final fantasy tactics, saga frontier, alundra) as im playing these games, the question that ive had for many years arose again; how do people make these games? now i know its 3d computer animation combined with programming, but id like to know what they used back in the mid 90s specfically. im interested in early 3d animation, not so much the 2d stuff that was on some psx games at the time...

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Clo...clock8.jpg

here is kinda what im talking about. im really vague, but im just looking for the earlier stages of 3d games ... i have a computer with windows 98, maybe i can get that workign if i can figure out how to reformat it.
thanks
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Aloha,

Well... aside from specific APIs and such, the way they created those games is the same way they're created now. Just a lot simpler. Smile

If you grab any "Learn OpenGL" book or look at OpenGL tutorials on the web (such as neHe), you'll learn how created 3d objects and eventually animate character models etc. That's how they did it.

Vague response to a vague answer. Hopefully that's a hint.

By the way, this website is specifically for Macintosh game development, so although you're welcome to contribute, just understand most people here won't be able to help with anything Windows-specific (tools, APIs, etc).

Cheerio
FreakSoftware Wrote:Well... aside from specific APIs and such, the way they created those games is the same way they're created now. Just a lot simpler. Smile

Graphics and physics simpler for sure, but I don't know about simpler as far as the engine is concerned. I spent some time studying Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus a few years ago and man that stuff gets *really* thick to wade through. I mean, there was no OpenGL or Direct3D to use, the whole pipeline was done in software -- the old fashioned way, home-made. Very cool, but not easy!

The two things I might recommend are that book if you really want to know everything, and studying the source to Quake2. Fascinating stuff, but I have a much greater appreciation for hardware accelerated APIs like OpenGL now. Wink

Oh yeah, there's also this interesting little diversion:

http://www.ecere.com/3dbhole/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Computer Science Dilemma! Dabisu 9 3,683 Oct 31, 2006 11:46 AM
Last Post: SethWillits