Java Versus C++

So if I am going to start out with something simple, what about learning Python and using Dim3? Downloading TNTBasic…
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Python won't help you with Dim3 (it uses JavaScript).

I also recommend not using Dim3. It's bizarre, slow, and limiting. As long as you're happy to start by making something less than an FPS, there's no reason to waste your time there.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Python won't help you with Dim3 (it uses JavaScript).

I also recommend not using Dim3. It's bizarre, slow, and limiting. As long as you're happy to start by making something less than an FPS, there's no reason to waste your time there.

Oh. I thought it was python.Annoyed Will starting with something less than an FPS be bad?
Nah, you should definitely start with something less than an FPS. A tetris, breakout, spaceinvader, or similar clone is a good place to start. They are 2D, don't have a lot of asset generation involved, and you're able to give them a unique 'feel' of your own. Most importantly, you should be able to make something you'll have a reasonable amount of fun playing with after just a few weeks of work.

Lots of people like to make MMORPGs, and they don't realize their game isn't fun (or remotely working) until they have 20,000 lines of code.
Hairball183 Wrote:Oh. I thought it was python.Annoyed Will starting with something less than an FPS be bad?
No, not at all. Do what you're already doing. Try out some form of BASIC and maybe PyGame or something like that. Lots of folks around here have had good luck with BASIC, like Najdorf pointed out above. Save up for Unity later. Dim3 isn't for everyone, but especially not beginners.
Apprentice
During this time and age, I would recommend one of the scripting languages, like Python. There are other options, but instead of discussing them a lot now, just go with Python and PyGame. You will probably get quick results (compared to other options) both in learning to program and get something fancy up on the screen. And I think that's what you want at this time.

Would love to hear what your path will be and how it progresses! Grin
I'm learning TNTBasic right now, and will probably move onto pygame next. Thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated.Smile
What about JOGRE?
I started on TNT Basic as well, and then moved on to BlitzMax to be able to do more complex things like objects and memory management. One thing I found that probably helped me out was not necessarily making a game, but rather finding an example game (with the code in the same language - there should still be example code/games in TNT), and recoding it from the ground up. That way, I could understand exactly how a game should work, and by the time I was done, I'd know for sure how to impliment such things.

An example of this is my first program made a ball bounce around the screen. Not very exciting, but until you understand exactly how that works, you're not going to be able to get very far.

Best Regards,
~Shunter

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT
Like I said before, I would like to make high quality 3D games in the future, but knw that it takes work to get there, and am willing to animate a ball bouncing across the screen to learn how a language works. I don't want a "Get rich quick without doing any work!" deal.WowLOLWacko
Alright, is there a Mac OS X version of PyGame?
Yes, check out the installation instructions here.
Oh. Cool. I am yet again saved from overlooking something. Thanks!
Sorry if it sounds dumb, but what do I need to download? The instructions page says it contains all the dependencies, but I can't find a link for Pygame itself. Am I missing something simple?(Yet again?)