iPhone SDK in February!

Steve Jobs Wrote:Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

So... with accelerometers, wifi and multitouch, what kind of games are we going to make for the next "uDG: iPhone Edition"? Grin
Quote this message in a reply
Wooohooo!!
⌘-R in Chief
My heart skipped a beat when I first saw this. I thought for sure he was going to stick to his guns. I couldn't be happier!

Well, actually I could.... I wish I had an iPhone. Grin
Crap, now I might have to get one...
wootness!

But that bit about the 'digital signature'—I really hope this means that I just have to register an application to my ADC account.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Luminary
Leopard already has code signing features. Google has lots of one-liners but I'm having trouble finding a detailed explanation...

Guess you'll find out when you get your dev docs in 8 days Wink
I am totally stoked, and have lots of ideas for the iPhone... though not many game ideas at the moment.
Do you think there is a market for actual money-making programs on the iPhone? Personally, I just view it as a platform that I can customize to my heart's content with cool little programs, since now I will have a portable PC in my pocket! Make it my checkbook, golf scorecard, all kinds of stuff.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
Yeah, I'd better start saving up Smile I would love to port my games to iPhone/iPod touch.. it's a very exciting prospect. I assume OpenGL will be supported, but that the rendering will be in software, not hardware ? Could be a problem for 3D..
Luminary
I believe it has hardware GL support. Look into OpenGL ES.
Apprentice
About the money-making potential: I don't think mobile games/apps sell for as much as regular shareware. It's possible you would sell more copies, and so make as much or more $$. But I've got a feeling there will be a flood of widget-style apps that will all be free, making marketing harder Sad Hopefully someone can refute this Smile
Apprentice
OSC, woohoo! Thanks Smile
Jason Colman Wrote:About the money-making potential: I don't think mobile games/apps sell for as much as regular shareware. It's possible you would sell more copies, and so make as much or more $$. But I've got a feeling there will be a flood of widget-style apps that will all be free, making marketing harder Sad Hopefully someone can refute this Smile

I can try Wink - From http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/timekillers/t...314234.php
Gizmodo Wrote:Slate's running a pretty solid piece bemoaning the state of mobile gaming, in particular, the genocide of free games like Tetris and Snake as developers realized "consumers aren't going to buy the cow when they can play Virtual Milkmaid for free. It's obvious where this line of reasoning leads: Goodbye Tetris, hello $7 Tetris."
I'd actually be very surprised if there is money making potential in apps... but I'd never say never. Thing is, people will always find Flash games online to play... and your game would have to be very good to get them to plunk down cash.

I'm thinking about how to properly integrate purchases into an application... because with the iPhone people can make purchases from anywhere. I hear cell phone purchases are more common outside the U.S. than inside, but I wonder if they are ubiquitous anywhere? With this, if you could quickly store your credit card number and other information and quickly make a purchase... some sort of one-tapâ„¢ purchasing... maybe it's time to trademark that name and keep amazon away from it.

Many many possibilities...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
funkboy Wrote:Thing is, people will always find Flash games online to play... and your game would have to be very good to get them to plunk down cash.

Unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone does not have a flash player installed. That will significantly lower the supply of free games for the iPhone (thus hopefully demand will rise).
Correct, iPhone nor iPod Touch support Flash. But who needs Flash anyway?

You can perfectly make games in Javascript that are both fun and visually appealing. Don't worry about the speed. Safari's Javascript is one of the best I've seen, and I speak from experience.

Though I also wonder if the SDK will let you make Cocoa plugins, like Dashboard widgets allow.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."