Pros and Cons of Different Languages

No language is a good language in my hands, bwahaha :evil:

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
C++: I know C++ can be a mess, but I have faith in its abilities when used correctly. It's like nuclear fusion: in the right hands, it is capable of great things, but in the wrong hands it can destroy the all that is good. I don't claim to be one of those 'good' C++ coders yet, but I certainly try.

C: Probably the most capable language when you don't want to put in the effort (or frustration) to bother writing 'good' C++ code.

Obj-C: I really like this language, though I only use it for a front end in OS X for portability reasons. The garbage collection alone is reason enough to use it...

Python: Good for prototyping and 'quick-and-dirty' applications, but I must say that using whitespace to delimit blocks is one of the worst ideas I've seen in a computer language (ever copy code and have to convert all of the spaces into tabulations? Ech...) I also run into many subtle problems because everything is passed by reference (if I set y = x, then any modifications on y also modify x).

BASIC: Possibly the best language for a complete beginner that prefers or has to be self taught. I got some pretty good stuff out of this language when I started out and I learned it by simply observing other code...

CSS: (I know, I know, not a language, but everyone else is doing it...)The savior of the web, in my opinion. You can now change the appearance (sometimes even the layout) of an entire website by editing only a few files--awesome...
C++: My favorite language. Not sure why, but whenever I try to use other languages, I always come back to C++ because I miss it.

Lua: A nice language for simple stuff. I couldn't imagine using it extensively though. I absolutely hate it's lack of classes and replacing them with meta-tables.

Objective-C: I like this language from what I've used it. Sometimes I find it's dynamic-ism a little overwhelming. I guess partly I've never gotten into it is because of the complexity of Cocoa (and MVC.. Getting everything to "talk" correctly confuses me also) and lack of cross-platform libraries. Delegates, selectors, ect... all confuse me. I should probably take more time to learn it though Smile

Squirrel: Though I've never really used this language, but it's all ready my favorite Scripting language. I love its syntax, and portability (one of the few languages that work on the PSP ^_^). I'd wish it had a bigger community though. squirrel-lang.org
hrm, here goes:

C: good for most stuff I do; could be a bit less basic, but very few complaints; a rock-hard language. Also, the simplicity and bareness (i.e. direct access to memory) ultimately empowers the programmer; this isn't always needed, but it is nice to have.

C++: more complicated but, in the end, usefull for stuff; Most things are just as easily done in c, though.

Objective-C: an unnexpected C++ replacement, elegant an beautiful. When coupled with Foundation it is fun to use. Still, messaging is slow, barring objects that need to be fast (i.e. vectors).

D: it seemed to be a nice replacement for C++, but became bloated quickly with unneeded features.

lisp: as solid as c; the atom/cons/list structure is quite nice.

common lisp: I've been playing around with SBCL for a couple weeks, and the combination of this, slime, and emacs is as close to heaven as I'll ever get. There are few class-systems truly comparable to CLOS.

scheme: meh; too bare. Otherwise, similar to lisp.

python: inconsistent, but otherwise VERY well supported.

Ruby: perhaps my favorite scripting language ever. Simple, clean, intuitive. Plus, the documentation is amazing.

PHP: go to hell, php. One of the worst ideas for languages ever.

J awkward.

Java: plenty of classes, but no support for basic, yet easily implemented, features one would expect in a VM language: Operator overloading and unsigned types. Plus, to get a simple thing done in swing, you have to barge through seventeen other objects.

C#: as a language, much better than java. The classes and windows-centricity is unnatractive, though.

PPC assembly: beautiful.

ARM assembly: awe-inspiring.

x86 assembly: HELL ON EARTH.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
C: this is my favorite language, either because it was my first, or perhaps I'm just a poor/inexperienced programmer. While objects are great for large projects, and more elegant, I still have an irrational love for procedural programming.

C++: I abhor this language, it's awful. Actually now that I think of it, C++ was my first language, but once I learned it, I quickly left it for C. C++ feels too bloated, like it has too many things tacked on to it.

Obj-C: I recently picked this language up and I'm becoming very fond of it. Objective-C feels like what C++ should have been. It's extremely elegant, almost too elegant from the standpoint of readability.
Nayr Wrote:Objective-C: an unnexpected C++ replacement, elegant an beautiful. When coupled with Foundation it is fun to use. Still, messaging is slow, barring objects that need to be fast (i.e. vectors).
Sorry, I hate to break the silence and respond, but I think this is a very important `con' to Obj-C, since we're discussing pros and cons. The messaging overhead issue steered me away from diving full-on into Obj-C/Cocoa for at least a couple years until I finally decided to give it an honest try a few months ago. In practice, since then I have found virtually no noticeable speed difference between using Obj-C and straight C. I know it's there somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. When/if I do experience issues with messaging overhead, it will likely be a trivial task to boost performance in those small areas with straight C. So as far as I've seen, the messaging overhead `con' with Obj-C appears to be moot in practice.
A couple of languages I missed earlier.

Lisp/Scheme (the same language really, just slightly different implementations): OMG the syntax is awful! Also, I don't get functional programming like I do procedural programming, so I would put any lisp-like language at the top(bottom?) of my least favorite languages list.

Haskell: Also a functional language, so I don't work in it as well as I do in procedural languages. Amazingly though, I actually like Haskell on the whole. I had a senior elective in college with an amazing professor who taught the language and I feel like I could get some real work done in Haskell.
AnotherJake Wrote:So as far as I've seen, the messaging overhead `con' with Obj-C appears to be moot in practice.
Having used Objective-C/Cocoa almost exclusively for the last two and a half years, only once have I run into a situation where messaging was causing noticeable slowdown. This was easily fixed by using IMPs in a few select places.
AS2: Nobody mentioned ActionScript 2 yet and I've been learning it lately and it's very much like a watered down C++ Grin It's really easy to learn if you know C++ or a language based on C++ (JavaScript, EMCA Script) I miss the pointers and multiple inheritance though...and also I think if I didn't know C++ it might be harder to use OOPS/AS2.

eg.
Code:
class BestLanguage
{
    private var correct_answer:String;
    public function BestLanguage()
    {
        this.correct_answer = "C";
    }

public function insteadOfLongPost( incorrect_answers:String ):String
    {
        return incorrect_answers + " Haha, NO! " + this.correct_answer + "++" + " is the BEST obviously!";
    }
}

Wink
Sage
Blacktiger Wrote:Lisp/Scheme (the same language really, just slightly different implementations): OMG the syntax is awful! Also, I don't get functional programming like I do procedural programming, so I would put any lisp-like language at the top(bottom?) of my least favorite languages list.

They are totally different in many aspects, I can only assume you hadn't looked very deep into them, probably not past the s-expression syntax which is one of the only things they share.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
C: Kinda like the common brick... not very fancy or elegant, but when used properly can make buildings of awe-inspiring beauty.

C++: Kinda like super-shiny bricks with lots of attachments which should make them fit well together but most often makes a more unstable mess than the traditional brick and mortar approach would have.

C#: Kinda like real legos... they fit nicely together without a lot of mortar. Been working exclusively with this for about the last 6 months and its been growing on me.

Obj-C: Bricks made out of aluminum... much lighter and easier to work with than the common brick. As a plus the syntax starts resembles a brick wall [ ].

Lua: My all-time favorite scripting language to embed in my applications. Not meant to build mountains with, but it gets other jobs done well.
unknown Wrote:They are totally different in many aspects, I can only assume you hadn't looked very deep into them, probably not past the s-expression syntax which is one of the only things they share.

I was under the impression that scheme was just a specific dialect of lisp for teaching functional programming. The s-expression syntax defines the language, and there are just a few different built-in functions, but I haven't coded in common lisp so I'm probably wrong.
what's actionscript?

anyway, if you think the language is just the syntax you've got a lot to learn.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Flash's scripting language, I believe.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Nayr Wrote:what's actionscript?

anyway, if you think the language is just the syntax you've got a lot to learn.

Sure syntax, semantics, and libraries/extensions make a language. In my view however, if the syntax sucks (and I hate the lisp style syntax) I'm likely to avoid the language no matter how nice the rest is since there are plenty of other languages out there. What can I say? I like beautiful code.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best/Fastest - What do the pros use? carmine 6 4,060 Jun 6, 2008 11:51 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  High and Low Level Languages FlamingHairball 22 10,825 Jan 8, 2008 10:23 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX
  What languages do you need for a MMORPG? Lost22 12 6,193 Nov 20, 2007 01:07 AM
Last Post: Lost22
  Re-introduction of low level languages? Duane 4 3,389 Oct 30, 2007 03:10 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Some questions on languages from a new guy (...beginners) ProfessorApe 20 8,194 Jan 24, 2007 03:10 PM
Last Post: leRiCl