New to Music Creation.

I took a music class with a friend, and he got pretty into making music in garage band. He played his melodies on the piano, looping them many times and then picking out the measures that sounded the best.

If you can quantize the notes you play and then edit them to clean them up, that would be a good solution. I'm not that familar with the tool though. I know it worked back in Finale.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Ah, perfect, thanks for that Jake. It's nice to have the power of Apple instruments in my hands now! LOL

Edit:
Yes! My brother lent me a copy of Jam Pack he had bought. I appreciate having a wide range of instruments. Smile
Apprentice
Alright guys, behold: my first Garageband production. I called it "Epic", because I attempted to (and think I managed to) create a sort of John Williams, grandiose atmosphere to it.

So here it is!

I will import my other, midi song and make it sound more like the style I'll be going for with all songs from now on.
As far as the music goes, it's way short, but it's great. I won't give you any musical tips - just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. Just try and get over 2 minutes. Grin

Some tips:
-Get a free web host instead of using those file hosting services
-Use iTunes to convert to AAC or MP3
-Click the little arrow below each track's name to make a volume control strip to appear under the notes. Use for fades.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
ceddo Wrote:Alright guys, behold: my first Garageband production. I called it "Epic", because I attempted to (and think I managed to) create a sort of John Williams, grandiose atmosphere to it.

I've asked Tobi for that kind of a composition for all the games we've made to date, but I always get something...else...not awful but not "epic".

Keep going, sounds good, certainly perfect for a title screen and credits or reveal of a location or level change.
Apprentice
Sorry for the long time without an update. Unfortunately, I suck at composing music, so I figured I would be spending my time better on completing the game graphics.

We'll probably end up hiring a music composer - I think it's worth the cost, because we'll probably be having high quality gfx and great gameplay!

Here, the latest stuff I've been working on: main screen of the game. Logo is a work in progress, as you can see.

[Image: mainscreen.gif]

PS: what is the cost of a musician, to create, say, five looping pieces of 2-3 minutes each, and a set of 20-30 sound effects?
Join the Demosceners; http://www.milkytracker.net/
Milkytracker is an Fast-Tracker 2 compatible tracker.
Tracking is basically where you store short samples of music, and play them back with some effects in the right order. This means very small file size (typically the size of about 10-30 seconds of music plus a few Kb for the actual track)
By the way, nice graphics, but the buttons don't look like they're on the page. The book goes a little skewed at the top (projection), but the buttons don't follow the angle of the book.

Tobs
Oldtimer
As for sound effects, Derek (lightbringer) and I have had good results with http://www.soundrangers.com. I managed to crack out all of the sound effects I'm currently using for Galder for just under $35. That's 18 high-quality effects that I'm tweaking, pitching and mixing to get all of the diversity I need.
Oldtimer
Also, regarding your Epic track: I like it a lot. It's just too bad that you're drowning the bass when the melody kicks in. Loop the melody once more, and bring the cello (?) up a bit the second time. I think it will make the piece a bit more dynamic, and pack a little more punch.

Very good for a first try, though! I'm impressed!
I wouldn't recommend MilkyTracker unless you don't mind spending an hour or two learning how to use it.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I'd recommend garage band. I like the simple interface. I formerly used Cubase VST and it is so complicated you get lost in the program versus making sound.

I also have Logic Express 6.4. The interface is really bad on that. Though, once in a while I use it.

Its handy to upgrade Quicktime so you can convert between formats. Garageband is limited in that regard. The garage band jam packs are worth it too.

To think you can do this stuff for under $200 is amazing. I remember in the early 90s it would cost thousands. Amazing...

Still think garage band should be its own product. Bundling it with iLife is sort of confusing.