A guide to making a game??

Luminary
Nobody's being a Mac Elitist douchebag. The purpose of the community, however, is *Mac* game programming, and I don't think the prevailing opinion is that that should change (but feel free to make a poll). I don't mind people from other OSes coming here and asking questions, and quite often we can answer them, but it's not our core competency, and I think that it's better that that's known up-front.
Then stop whining and acting elitist everytime a PC noob shows up.

If you have nothing to say to the new users with no clue, then don't.

There is absolutely no need to scream "Whites Only" ..er I mean "its a Mac forum" every single time.

And who cares about your "core competency", these are PC noobs, you could tell them to code a game in HTML, they wouldn't know the difference. They are not bowing down in the dirt before you begging for help, they are just stumbling about in the dark.

And yes, many people here , in my observations over six years, put on their elite mac bastard hat all too often, over and over and over again.

It seems every time a noob comes along I have to point this out.
What is it, once a month?
Luminary
igame3d Wrote:There is absolutely no need to scream "Whites Only" ..er I mean "its a Mac forum" every single time.

As I said, I don't believe it does anybody any good to pretend that the community is something it isn't. Nobody's ever rude about it, we just politely point out that we may not be able to help with all their problems.
Processing, Java, dim3, iGame3D, haxe, javascript, Flash and soon Unity are all crossplatform.
There is probabably another dozen solutions as well.

Shoving "we are ignorant of all things windows" into people's faces
doesn't send them away with a good impression of this community.

In fact it probably sends them off to laugh at Mac users: "Ha ha, mac doesn't have any cool
games because the developers are inbred stuck up nerds"

You don't have to pretend anything, if you don't have something on topic, and helpful to post, then don't.

Everyone else in this thread was helping the OP and remained on topic, until ....yes, thats right, you posted your moaning and groaning about the ignored title, which then sent the thread off topic.

How many times a year and in how many threads does this have to happen?
Apprentice
Nobody needs to fight with anyone here...Im sorry i own windows...Im sorry i dont own a mac...Im sorry i dont know much about computers...Im sorry for asking a question *In a mac forum*...

All i thought was that if i posted maybe i could learn more about computers and start making games but oviously because i dont "own a mac" Im not good enough dont worry maybe someday ill buy a mac then be good enough for this forum
Luminary
Don't let iGame3D put you off...
@igame3d: I am not going bother with a point-by-point rebuttal to the seeming flame-bait you have posted, I will simply say this, as it was I who brought up the likelihood that KnightRaider was running Windows based on what they had posted: I did not do so as an invitation to flame KnightRaider for posting in the wrong forum, nor to indulge in any Mac elitism; I posted that simply to note that, whilst most of the suggestions in the thread that far would work equally well on both Mac or Windows, one of those suggestions (GarageBand) would not, and to (admittedly slightly sarcastically) inform KnightRaider that whilst many of the developers here develop for both Mac and Windows (and GBA, and DS, and Xbox 360, and...) and thus know of cross-platform tools which will work on Windows, this is not a Windows-centric forum, so their more esoteric questions if any would be unlikely to be answered, or would be unlikely to be answered without some remark that they ask in a Windows-centric forum; I do not believe that trying to keep the forum as a whole on-topic could be considered Mac elitism.

Now, we could return to the original topic, or I could lock the thread if this flame war in miniature continues..?

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
In other words, and this is to avoid confusion about what iDevGames really is:

iDevGames is a community/forum for game developers who have a passion for the Macintosh platform.

Which means that for general game developping questions, you're fine here. If your questions are more related towards the Mac platform, you're even better.

If your questions are related to Windows (or perhaps even other systems, like DS, Xbox, etc...), this may not be the correct place to ask your questions.

Are we all clear on this?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Nobody needs to point out that this is a Macintosh centric forum everytime a PC user shows up, when there are plenty of crossplatform solutions to discuss.
In fact 99% of the products in the GoogleAds that support this site are for Windows.

It also seems like there is always some person on this forum who completely ignores the OP and rattles off a list of Mac only solutions which requires someone else to say "From what the OP stated, he's on Windows" followed up by someone complaining that the OP didn't read the front page, or the title bar, yadda yadda.

Its a pathetic cycle.

If you can't help the poster, then just don't say anything, if they don't get an email reply they probably won't be back, and at the very least they won't feel unwelcome.

The Macintosh platform, by the way, runs Linux and Windows, so any claims that any other OS than X is "off topic" here, is really contrary to reality.

With Crossover I'm just a download and a double click away from Windows software (For another $60 Linux too), if that doesn't work there's Parallels
and no I never reboot into PoopCamp.
Mac/Windows only is an obsolete notion, more so each passing day.

Knowing something about Windows game development and having a pool of windows users to communicate with only increases the Mac game developers potential market from 4% to 98%.

Pushing these people away has absolutely no value whatsoever other than to give the mods who complain about having to clean up the forums less work to complain about.

But whatever, opinions here are set in stone, and the worste violators of bad attitude toward new and pc users are the ones with the highest levels of authority, and denial.
igame3d Wrote:Nobody needs to point out that this is a Macintosh centric forum everytime a PC user shows up, when there are plenty of crossplatform solutions to discuss.

No, but it helps.

igame3d Wrote:In fact 99% of the products in the GoogleAds that support this site are for Windows.

And it never occured to you that this is because 99% of the world uses Windows?

igame3d Wrote:If you can't help the poster, then just don't say anything, if they don't get an email reply they probably won't be back, and at the very least they won't feel unwelcome.

There's nothing more frustrating that posting something and not receiving a reply. At least if some one posts a reply (even if it's not an answer), the poster will know why he didn't receive an answer.

igame3d Wrote:The Macintosh platform, by the way, runs Linux and Windows, so any claims that any other OS than X is "off topic" here, is really contrary to reality.

Can't run Windows on PPC Macs, (except with Virtual PC, but really, who would wanna use that for developping games).

Besides, it's not because you can run an OS on another OS, that people actually do so for development purposes. Your statement is invalid.

igame3d Wrote:With Crossover I'm just a download and a double click away from Windows software (For another $60 Linux too), if that doesn't work there's Parallels
and no I never reboot into PoopCamp.
Mac/Windows only is an obsolete notion, more so each passing day.

So instead of flaming here, why don't you help the user since you seem to be more crossplatform than any of us?

igame3d Wrote:Knowing something about Windows game development and having a pool of windows users to communicate with only increases the Mac game developers potential market from 4% to 98%.

Pushing these people away has absolutely no value whatsoever other than to give the mods who complain about having to clean up the forums less work to complain about.

That's only true if developers wanna make a crossplatform game. Which is fine, but most of us will start making a game that runs on Mac first and later consider porting to a different system.

igame3d Wrote:But whatever, opinions here are set in stone, and the worste violators of bad attitude toward new and pc users are the ones with the highest levels of authority, and denial.

You being one of them.

Thread closed!

KnightRider, don't be scared off by some of these lame posts. Just keep posting whenever you want, we'll try to help you or at least point you towards a potential solution.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Making fantasy game? imageready 0 8,126 Feb 29, 2008 07:09 PM
Last Post: imageready
  Making an RTS game Nyzse 6 12,337 Nov 12, 2007 11:59 AM
Last Post: gronkal
  Any good game making tools? Sambo110 7 8,152 Jul 5, 2007 12:28 AM
Last Post: KnightRaider
  Making a game good enough for the major portals. BasilStudio 8 4,136 Sep 7, 2006 10:59 AM
Last Post: Yoda