Flash Project Timescales

I've a question for any of the Flash developers.

How long would it take to develop a simple game based on a board game with simple rules and a bit of AI (such as Draughts or Solitaire)?

I'm looking for time scale ideas for both an experienced Flash developer and for someone with lots of development experience but new to Flash.

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Flash is not particularly different from any development enviroment, it's pretty integrated so that should speed things up (no need for external libraries).

The language is good enough, automatic memory allocation-deallocation, dynamic typeing if you want, you can go as sloppy as you wish.

To get the grip with the way things are done in flash can take some time though, especially if you need to find tutorials on the internet (rarely good for games).

My technique is in the first frame of the timeline put

game:Game=new Game
onEnterFrame = function() {game.mainloop();}
stop()

and then dont touch the timeline/flash specific stuff anymore, so you can do everything with the Game.as class, so you can code in a more "normal" way instead of having your code split in many different places (timeline, objects in the timeline, classes...)

The most important class you need to use is the movieClip (basically a "sprite" or any drawn object) class and it's methods (many very useful), So the chessboard will be a movieclip (or an extension of it with specialized methods), the cards-pieces will be movieclips etc.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Thanks for that - just the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

Next question - are there free Flash editors / compilers or does it have to be commercial software?

I did try a quick search on Google but the words 'flash free editor' just kept coming up with free viewers.
Instead of using Flash 8, you might be interested in Flex, which works a lot more like a real programming environment (and produces SWFs that run in Flash Player 9): http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/
Flex has a free SDK: http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/downloads/

I dont know what you're missing from the full version, other than the IDE

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I've decided to take a look at the 30 day trial version of Flash Pro CS3, although it seems like the first day has been spent downloading it - nearly 2 hours!
is there a free actionscript compiler?

It's not magic, it's Ruby.