OpenGL graphical data storage order question.

Why does OpenGL store graphical data in left-to-right, botton-to-top order?

I ok with the left-to-right, but why in the hell are scan lines ordered from bottom to top. Was it just an arbitrary decision or is there some good reason for it.

This is so counter intuitative that it is seriously affecting my health, happiness, and pursuit of pleasure,
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Why do you say it's counterintuitive? This is the way up things are in mathematics...

In other words: just because you're blinded by prior experience with some other computer graphics API which is upside down, doesn't mean you should slag off OpenGL for doing things right Wink
WhatMeWorry Wrote:I ok with the left-to-right, but why in the hell are scan lines ordered from bottom to top. Was it just an arbitrary decision or is there some good reason for it.

This is so counter intuitative that it is seriously affecting my health, happiness, and pursuit of pleasure,

Yes, "up" being up is counter-intuitive! Rasp Also, the same holds true for Quartz.
tigakub
Unregistered

I kinda understand where WhatMeWorry is coming from. A mathematician would obviously find the bottom-up orientation of bitmaps to be intuitive, but when a programmer thinks about the framebuffer, the natural orientation is top-down. This is orientation in which the screen is refreshed, and all the primitives are rasterized. So as a programmer, bottom-down would perhaps be more consistent. The fact that many UNIX systems flip the images and the graphical axis upside down is to make it more intuitive for mathematicians.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Combining OpenGL vertex data into 1 object Jmcclane 0 3,218 Jun 17, 2011 12:03 PM
Last Post: Jmcclane
  Apple client storage? Wowbagger 4 3,136 Jul 30, 2008 04:33 PM
Last Post: Wowbagger
  An OpenGL Question Justin Brimm 1 2,300 Dec 13, 2002 03:38 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  glMultMatrixf(): rotation order? Feanor 4 7,639 Jul 13, 2002 09:19 AM
Last Post: codemattic
  Drawing order with blending Tobi 3 5,716 May 10, 2002 12:31 AM
Last Post: Tobi