Anyone know about Tutorials/Lectures about Server Programming

Hi there,

I'm want to build a server for my iPhone Game to facilitate those multiplayer games and a database of registered players with their stats.

I know how to request JSON-Files from a server and handle them in my App
but I'm currently overwhelmed by the number of new things to learn in Server Programming. I mean I don't want to program a web-service but a server that provides some services for an iPhone App.
There are so many names and possibilities to do this like SOAP,LAMP,Python,Django,Pylons, MySQL etc..

Does anyone know about a good Tutorial/iTunes Lecture on how build servers that accept requests from mobile clients?

I know there are many pitfalls to client-server communication, I just want some Architecture/Framework where I have to do least work on the communication part to implement my Multiplayer-Logic.
Quote this message in a reply
Bersaelor Wrote:Hi there,

I'm want to build a server for my iPhone Game to facilitate those multiplayer games and a database of registered players with their stats.

I know how to request JSON-Files from a server and handle them in my App
but I'm currently overwhelmed by the number of new things to learn in Server Programming. I mean I don't want to program a web-service but a server that provides some services for an iPhone App.
There are so many names and possibilities to do this like SOAP,LAMP,Python,Django,Pylons, MySQL etc..

Does anyone know about a good Tutorial/iTunes Lecture on how build servers that accept requests from mobile clients?

I know there are many pitfalls to client-server communication, I just want some Architecture/Framework where I have to do least work on the communication part to implement my Multiplayer-Logic.

There are a lot of different approaches and I guess it depends on the enviroment you want to support.

If your running on a shared hosting of some kind you probably want to stick with php whereby if you have a lot of users you might want go with ruby or java.

I tend to use java because I have a lot of experience in that.

Also are you going to use apple push notification or not.

The requirements for the iphone are no different than any other client/server environment , straight http posts or gets.

Lots and lots of book available.
You could always consider giving a third-party system a try. Check out OpenFeint for example. It's a pretty good system they have set up. There's also ngmoco's Plus system but that appears to be closed right now. I have no idea what their API looks like either. OpenFeint's is rather large but it can be worked with.
I have a couple that I built, there in java but if you study them you probably could learn how to build in any language.

One takes an uploaded image
http://sol3.typepad.com/tagalong_develop...na/page/2/

And the other uses apple push notification
http://sol3.typepad.com/tagalong_develop...-apns.html

I got mixed results on tests, a lot of people have downloaded them , even a whole colledge class in the netherlands, some people think the install is easy others had difficulty and I had to provide some help.

Neither are production ready.

I was going to use them for facebook updates but than I found fbconnect.
Luminary
Google app engine is a very easy framework to get started with.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Google app engine is a very easy framework to get started with.

Yes, and if I remember right, there are some video tutorials on the google page.

openSocial is pretty good, but thats more directed towards the social networking. Store scores on facebook. you could!
Thank you for your posts.
I know there are a lot of books out there, that's exactly the problem.
I thought someone here probably knew some Tutotials or Lectures on iTunes, something like "Python and MySQL for Server Programming".

I already knew about OpenFeint and FBConnect but that is not the issue here.
For me there is a lot more then Rankings, my Stat-System is more complicated. And anyway the specific case of a list of Users with Stats is so standard its covered a lot. For the Management of the ongoing games I need more, so I searched for some Lecture on how to set up a Server and Database and use a Programming Language for the Server Logic in a more general setting.
Bersaelor Wrote:Thank you for your posts.
I know there are a lot of books out there, that's exactly the problem.
I thought someone here probably knew some Tutotials or Lectures on iTunes, something like "Python and MySQL for Server Programming".

I already knew about OpenFeint and FBConnect but that is not the issue here.
For me there is a lot more then Rankings, my Stat-System is more complicated. And anyway the specific case of a list of Users with Stats is so standard its covered a lot. For the Management of the ongoing games I need more, so I searched for some Lecture on how to set up a Server and Database and use a Programming Language for the Server Logic in a more general setting.

You have specifc questions but you don't give enough info to answer them.

What environment are targeting or what can your host support.

windows unix

java, php, ruby

What server are you planning to use

Apache
Tomcat
weblogic

Those kind of answers would help someone give you suggestions.
I haven't decided which framework to run on, yet.

That was the reason for my Question, I am new to server programming and wanted to know your opinion from where to start.

I understand Linux Apache Servers with MySQL and a Python Webdevelopment Framework (e.g. Django) are one typical way to do it.

But if you all agree, that using Googles App engine would save me a lot of work, then I'll learn how to use that.

There are so many options that I just wanted to ask which ones are the most promising (maybe best documented)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gamecenter or Own Server? avidgamer101 5 8,491 Sep 18, 2012 03:30 AM
Last Post: akkishore
  New iphone game programming tutorials for newbies Eskema 2 3,325 Mar 1, 2010 01:07 PM
Last Post: Eskema
  Howe can download any file from server to the iPhone application? Rajneesh84 3 4,704 Feb 22, 2009 10:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Stanford iPhone Development Course - Complete Lectures (Download PDF) shokosugi 5 6,650 Dec 3, 2008 08:14 AM
Last Post: pierre