The best starting language for mac...?

Luminary
Not trying to argue for Go, I don't like it at all, but as far as I know nothing prevents you from using C or assembly for the 0.01% of the code where you care about that kind of performance.

And compilers *do* turn mod-pot into and-pot-minus-1, and I do use % in inner loops knowing they will do that Rasp

And I don't think Go is intended to replace C for all C's uses; it's supposed to be a reasonably low-level language which is safe enough and has enough built-in functionality to write heavily multithreaded code in.

To say that you can't use any language without pointer arithmetic automatically discounts *every* language bar two or three, and there are a lot of people out there happily using Java, Python, Ruby, etc.
Quote this message in a reply
FWIW, I'm not trying to argue in favor of Go either. I like the experiment, but I've grown a bit skeptical that it will find a place.
(Apr 7, 2011 10:37 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  To say that you can't use any language without pointer arithmetic automatically discounts *every* language bar two or three, and there are a lot of people out there happily using Java, Python, Ruby, etc.

You're right; I was being overly harsh in calling Go nonviable, especially as I have no problem with using "the right tool for the job." There is no reason to outright discount any language if it best fits the goal for your projects. Hell, I use Fortran for writing programs that have to interface with some of the seismic software I use.

All that said, I don't see a place for Go. I can't say it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist, because even after reading through the FAQ, I only have a vague understanding of what they're actually out to accomplish. "Easier and faster development" is an ideal, but you can't simply declare that as a goal of your project. You have to fundamentally break down what currently makes software development both slow and hard and then individually develop solutions.

I don't feel like the Go project has accomplished this or at least, sufficiently explained it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hello, starting first project, looking for advice in language and tools aqua_scummm 15 7,520 Jan 31, 2008 06:39 AM
Last Post: ynda20