Newb Question about Blender Liscensing

Nyyark
Unregistered

Hi I'm starting down the path to delevoping games, and for a long term goal I want to use Blender to create 3D image media for a game.

From what I understand (i.e. think I have read on other posts in this forum) it is possible to export Blender data into an .obj file? and render it with OpenGL? using Cocoa or Carbon framework.

Whether or not the above info is accurate (clarification is ofcourse appreciated) what sort of licensing restrictions would this place on the final product? Does using Blender to create the graphics data, even if it is not the final rendering product, require the game to be open source, or a liscensing fee, or simply never commercially released?

I appreciate any input, and I have tried Google, but I was unable to figure out the answer to my question in that way. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Nyyark Wrote:From what I understand (i.e. think I have read on other posts in this forum) it is possible to export Blender data into an .obj file?
Yup...

Nyyark Wrote:and render it with OpenGL? using Cocoa or Carbon framework.
OpenGL doesn't know anything about model formats. It's your responsibility to parse whatever 3D format you choose and turn it into data OpenGL can deal with. OBJ is certainly one of the easier formats to begin with however.

Nyyark Wrote:what sort of licensing restrictions would this place on the final product? Does using Blender to create the graphics data, even if it is not the final rendering product, require the game to be open source, or a liscensing fee, or simply never commercially released?
IANAL, but art you create with Blender (models, images, video) is not encumbered by any of Blender's licensing. There are licensing consequences if you plan on using Blender's game engine, but even then the art is yours and yours alone.
Nyyark
Unregistered

Thanks Frank, I appreciate the info Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newb question. redrath2 4 4,540 Mar 8, 2012 09:41 AM
Last Post: redrath2
  New and a Newb moser 3 3,230 Jan 3, 2009 03:31 PM
Last Post: kodex