Text based RPG

Smush
Unregistered

Hi there I've been doing alot of research on this but didn't quite grasp what was there in web pages so i've decided to put what my question is so it can be answered in a way that i can expect will answer my own question to the pointSmile

So here's my question...
I'm trying to make a browser based, probably text based rpg whereby visitors wishing to play will need to create an account and once created will be able to play it by leveling through clicking buttons to fight monsters and learn spells. No animations really just like the odd image now and again showing what the monster looks like that they're are fighting. Also as it is web based it wont require downloads and players can see how far up the leaderboard they are compared to others.

Any idea on what I should use/do to acheive all this?

I got the idea from this http://www.tiipsi.com/
Quote this message in a reply
PHP for the scripting / generation of web pages and MySQL for the backend database to hold the data.
Luminary
PHP is horrible, try Ruby on Rails or some other real language instead.
Sage
I had to use PHP for a school project last week. What a terrible language... It's way to easy to make an error that causes the program to crash in unexpected ways. (or worse, not at all) Debugging is largely impossible other than guess and check. To make matters worse, an uncaught error will simply cause the page to be blank, no useful error reporting for you!

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Smush
Unregistered

lol @ Skorche LOL and thanks to the others although...

Can I point out that ive never done "Proper coding" but have used those type of sites where the owner has made their own variation of a language making it a little easier to use such as http://www.byond.com and i am learning Flash 8 currently (has no relevance I know. Don't like it either)

Also in addition as to helping me in my quest for a web based game please tell me if this is correct....

would it be SQL as in MS Access type to store member accounts?

Would C++ be any use of a language here? as i have watched tutorial videos and it looks a friendly language

and PHP is a yes or no lol? what is it anyways out of curiosity?
Sage
C++ isn't going to be that useful for making a web app. You could do it, but I don't know of any good libraries to help you out.

Python or Ruby are probably the best choices for web app development right now. Ruby has Ruby on Rails, which is all the latest buzz. I've used it and rather liked it. The Pythonists seemed to think that their libraries, Django and TurboGears are better than Rails. That might be rails envy though, who can say.

SQL is a language for working with databases, many databases support it including Access. MySQL is a SQL based database that is both fast and free.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
PHP is just fine, and as much a "real" language as any of the others mentioned in this thread.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Luminary
PHP has plenty of arbitrary syntax restrictions which just make working with it hard. I ran across this when I used it before:

Code:
someVariable = someFunctionReturningAStruct();
someVariable->someFieldOfThatStruct;

is fine, but

Code:
someFunctionReturningAStruct()->someFieldOfThatStruct;

is not. That's not a real language in my book Rasp

The embedded-in-html nature of it all also encourage you to write horrible code, which isn't a great thing.
OneSadCookie Wrote:PHP is horrible, try Ruby on Rails or some other real language instead.

Skorche Wrote:I had to use PHP for a school project last week. What a terrible language... It's way to easy to make an error that causes the program to crash in unexpected ways. (or worse, not at all) Debugging is largely impossible other than guess and check. To make matters worse, an uncaught error will simply cause the page to be blank, no useful error reporting for you!

I've not had any issues with PHP. I've been using it for over the last year to develop a product and not found the language restricting in any way. It has allowed us to develop a framework that lets us build our system. It also allows us to perform unit testing.

If you turn on warning and error messages then you do see the errors.
You might want to check out http://www.rinkworks.com's adventure games. You could probably email the guy who runs it, he seems like a decent, responsive fellow.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Nibbie
<rant>
OneSadCookie Wrote:PHP has plenty of arbitrary syntax restrictions which just make working with it hard.
!snip!
The embedded-in-html nature of it all also encourage you to write horrible code, which isn't a great thing.

I would have to disagree. PHP I find is intuitive and far superior to most other languages that claim technical superiority. Sure, PHP may "suck" for being a combination of 'archaic' C (argol) syntax, and some crazy OOP, but it's a wonderful language to use if you're good at C like languages (like C++, Java, Javascript and other languages that most experianced programmers are fluent in). Also, horrible code makes the internet go 'round Rasp If you dis horrible code, you dis me Wink
</end rant>
Bother. As a moderator I feel compelled to delete this post as offtopic garbage. I suppose I had better say something on topic.

There is nothing to stop you from writing a text based RPG in HTML and JavaScript. A text RPG needs a good layout engine (HTML browsers will have to pass for this one), some code that can modify that text/layout (JavaScript was created for this although it's quirky at times), and if you want to save, you could use cookies. Snap in some AJAX and a few other buzzwords (like extreme coding, OOP, web 2.0, tags, cross site scripting) and you've got yourself a modern text RPG.

Edit: Whenever I start going on about AJAX and buzzwords, I'm being sarcastic
Sage

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Maybe you can take the game offline and into an binary for mac and windows using the code from
Chatrev and coding in Runtime Revolution.

I always thought thats what that program would be very good for.
Certainly there are creepy monsters in Chatrev hahah! LOL
I tried RoR for a recent project. I'm happy to report I'm back to PHP now... Rasp

Nonetheless, something to consider:
Month of PHP Bugs
PowerMacX Wrote:Nonetheless, something to consider:
Month of PHP Bugs

This is a good thing as they should be fixed by the time your game is ready to go live if you went down the PHP route.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ALT: Creating a text-based RPG?? endkiller 31 21,651 Dec 31, 2008 03:37 PM
Last Post: Hendo
  Text based RPG in Python pipposanta 7 8,543 Feb 27, 2008 09:10 AM
Last Post: pipposanta
  I Need Help Creating A Text Based MMORPG (aka MUD) GoldenLegacy 5 4,671 Dec 10, 2007 01:57 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  How to upload scripts for text based game? Gdollaz87 5 4,055 Aug 1, 2007 10:31 PM
Last Post: Gdollaz87
  Java/C++ Sever-side RPG Text Based.. darkdescendent 1 2,442 Oct 27, 2006 07:47 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister