Macworld 2007 Keynote

Sage
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Are you on the phone nonstop for the entire day? Presumably, that's 5 hours of actual use, not 5 hours of sitting in your pocket doing nothing...

That's 5 hours for talk/web/video time. That's not just sitting in standby. It also has a separate 16 hour battery just for music which is nice. By comparison, my Motorola V3M Razr only has 3 hours of talk time and I don't get a cool multitouch interface or the internet.

I'm excited for the phone and might get it when it hits shelves. I've been planning a switch to Cingular anyway and it would be nice to basically have a computer with me everywhere I go.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
In my experience so far the best possible portable solution is a really cheap palm pilot (Zire 31?), a really cheap (moderately new) cell phone (I use a Nokia 3220), and a laptop (unfortunately my powerbook is retired as a server at the moment and my home made linux based stop gap probably has more value in its salvageable electrical tape that's holding it together than anything else).
Sage
ferum Wrote:EDIT: never mind, the first is impossible.

I don't believe that yet. Nobody has said anything about third party programming. I'm waiting til it's out or til Apple says something about that. Just because somebody posted it at engadget.com does not make it a valid source of information on technology that has only been publicly known for days (let alone being months away from release).
Nick Wrote:I don't believe that yet. Nobody has said anything about third party programming. I'm waiting til it's out or til Apple says something about that. Just because somebody posted it at engadget.com does not make it a valid source of information on technology that has only been publicly known for days (let alone being months away from release).

From NYT:

Quote:Mr. Jobs is moving in that direction, too, but it appears that he wants to control his device much more closely than his competitors.

“We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”

Mad
The recent information about no 3rd party apps and being unable to view Word or Excel documents means that I will not be replacing my Windows Mobile based smart phone with an iPhone. I suspect they have now lost the business market.
Don't lose faith so easily. Steve is a pro at making workable products--I have a hunch that when the iPhone comes out, the inability to install 3rd party apps won't be so noticable.

I don't think it's anybody's plan to sacrifice the very-profitable business market, I think that the plan is just to cater to it in a first-party manner.
I sent an e-mail to Apple asking about third-party development on the iPhone. From what I'm hearing, there isn't much chance, but I'll post the reply here when I get it anyway.
Wow. That makes me...pissed. I need to tell my therapist about this.

But seriously, that's pretty lame. Imagine the gaming possibilities! I never thought I'd say this, but hopefully the hackers will get it dual-booting into some Linux that supports multitouch so I can finally write a decent Ice Hockey clone.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
BeyondCloister Wrote:The recent information about no 3rd party apps and being unable to view Word or Excel documents means that I will not be replacing my Windows Mobile based smart phone with an iPhone. I suspect they have now lost the business market.
They're obviously targeting the hip crowd, not the stiff crowd, so that doesn't really figure into the success of the product, but yeah, it still seems a bit disappointing. I am split about the apparent lock-out of 3rd-party apps. I mean, if it's running on such a powerful base system, why not turn it loose in some fashion? I understand that it's likely not practical to be everything to everyone, and I definitely understand his argument that because it's a phone it *has* to work, but... C'mon! I think at least a heavily protected virtual environment would be better than nothing at all. I can understand their reservations, but I still think they need to find a way. And if they're not going to allow that, then why did he bother saying it uses technologies like Cocoa and CoreImage? Like as if end-users have any real clue as to what those technologies are. If he feels that spewing techno-babble to sell the product works, then he's already selling it like it's a PC device. If developers are unallowed to even touch them, then nobody really needed to know that information in the first place. The way Steve is approaching this gives me the impression that he's pushing one of his Utopian visions of monolithic perfection again, rather than practical reality.
Sage
AnotherJake Wrote:They're obviously targeting the hip crowd, not the stiff crowd, so that doesn't really figure into the success of the product, but yeah, it still seems a bit disappointing. I am split about the apparent lock-out of 3rd-party apps. I mean, if it's running on such a powerful base system, why not turn it loose in some fashion? I understand that it's likely not practical to be everything to everyone, and I definitely understand his argument that because it's a phone it *has* to work, but... C'mon! I think at least a heavily protected virtual environment would be better than nothing at all. I can understand their reservations, but I still think they need to find a way. And if they're not going to allow that, then why did he bother saying it uses technologies like Cocoa and CoreImage? Like as if end-users have any real clue as to what those technologies are. If he feels that spewing techno-babble to sell the product works, then he's already selling it like it's a PC device. If developers are unallowed to even touch them, then nobody really needed to know that information in the first place. The way Steve is approaching this gives me the impression that he's pushing one of his Utopian visions of monolithic perfection again, rather than practical reality.

I definitely agree with you that putting out all the tech-specs of the OS seemed like it was towards developers (and how I wish for a future way to develop for the phone), but I can also see it for consumers. Some may have heard of Cocoa or CoreImage and, if not, it was just a way to show that this phone has all the capabilities as a Mac computer in terms of the OS. This way customers will be more likely to buy the phone believing that the apps will all act like desktop apps being run on desktop level technologies.

But yes, I was so excited when I saw the keynote while thinking of all the cool apps and games I would start working on. I'd like to see Will's cool calculator on one of those. Seems like the perfect platform for an app like that. Beats having to get to the calculator app and type it in on a virtual number pad.
aside from the price, I am *drooling* over the iphone. It's gui looks incredible. I don't really care about the phone part. it's the widescreen tocuh ipod that I love Grin

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Danlab lookalike in Google I/O Keynote funkboy 5 2,211 May 17, 2013 07:47 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Macworld/iWorld 2013? funkboy 4 3,338 Jan 23, 2013 01:56 AM
Last Post: funkboy
  Developer Perspectives 2007 igame3d 23 10,098 Apr 23, 2007 06:15 AM
Last Post: monteboyd