Any good game making tools?

Sambo110
Unregistered

Hi i am looking for a good game making tool for creating games. I don't know how to do programming but i will learn it some day. So do you know any good game developing software for me?
Quote this message in a reply
You will have to learn to program after a fashion to use any 'game making' tool, or it isn't a game making tool but a level editor with delusions of grandeur; with that out of the way, I'd suggest you take a look at dim3 (which has a forum here), or Unity; caveat user: I've never used either of those tools for any non-toy project...

Mark Bishop
Apprentice
sealfin Wrote:You will have to learn to program after a fashion to use any 'game making' tool, or it isn't a game making tool but a level editor with delusions of grandeur; with that out of the way, I'd suggest you take a look at dim3 (which has a forum here), or Unity; caveat user: I've never used either of those tools for any non-toy project...

I use Unity, and it is truly amazing. Yes, you do have to program - in terms of scripting - but not the nitty-gritty stuff.

I honestly cannot recommend dim3. I haven't used it, no, but I have seen the results: Look at, say, Tiny Tanks from the 3DU competition - that's the best game I've seen from dim3, and it seriously looks and feels like a game that's a decade old. Almost every Unity-made entry was far superior to any dim3 entry, which I believe not to be a function of the creators, but of their choice of tool.

If 3DU only had bad examples of dim3 games, feel free to link me to the better ones. But those games were bad in consistent ways(low-res, no AA or mipmapping, no physics, no alpha blending AFAICT), which suggests that those characteristics are common in most/all dim3 games, and it's simply not possible to make a professional-looking and feeling games with those characteristics.

Try any dim3 game, and then try Megapixel (my personal pick for the best 3DU entry). I suspect youll be floored - and Megapixel doesn't even use half of unity's best features.
To be fair, dim3 is free and Unity is $250 and up so you might want to scale back your expectations.

But, yes, Unity is head and shoulders above it.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Max
Apple posted a great article on game building tools for the Mac. Link

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
TylerHutchison
Unregistered

If you really have no experience I would recommend looking into using the Torque Game Builder (not the engine); It has some very easy to use tutorials and it provides you with sample graphics and scripts that will help you get into the swing of things.

I have never actually used it... but I read through most of the tutorials and it seems like a really great way to start learning.
Nibbie
These bad results are not because of Dim3's quality, but because I only got to work on it for 42 hours. The final bug I threw out before I could add enemies was past the deadline. Thats why it's, ahem, boring.Sneaky Bored
Apprentice
Sambo110 Wrote:Hi i am looking for a good game making tool for creating games. I don't know how to do programming but i will learn it some day. So do you know any good game developing software for me?

Really give this a try its around 50$ you can make real classy First person shooter games. And make money of it..Its got the best forums you could imagine to. Make a few model packs and people on the forums will fork out 20-40$ buying it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Mega Mac List of Game related tools Oddity007 9 12,018 Dec 5, 2012 12:13 AM
Last Post: mercy^4
  Macintosh UML Tools for Game Dev? TythosEternal 5 5,587 Jul 1, 2009 10:02 AM
Last Post: TythosEternal
  Making fantasy game? imageready 0 8,024 Feb 29, 2008 07:09 PM
Last Post: imageready
  Making an RTS game Nyzse 6 12,041 Nov 12, 2007 11:59 AM
Last Post: gronkal
  A guide to making a game?? KnightRaider 24 8,859 Jul 8, 2007 04:42 AM
Last Post: Taxxodium