Game comments

funkboy Wrote:I'm thinking of giving the whole game a fairly Scottish treatment for the user interface, maybe even some bagpipe music.

Please, no. Have you ever heard those things?
Quote this message in a reply
I'd recommend some less intrusive fiddle, guitar, box, and flute stuff. Leave the pipes for the trad-nuts.
Apprentice
Re: Curling
I come from central Otago, which is in the New Zealand Mainland. Its the hottest(40 degrees+Summer) and Coldest(-10 degrees winter) place in NZ. In winter theres this lake in the foothills that freezes over in mid -winter, and all these curlers turn up. The old guys have a great old time. Its quite a sight. Fully outdoors and almost remote. Dry, dusty hills, Thyme, Schist Rocks BriarThorn Bushes, Rabbits. Thats my experience of curling
AC
Heh, I did the models for Not Asteroids in about 15 minutes. Grin

(Well, maybe a bit longer for the ship. And I do like the ship. So there.)

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Andrew Sage Wrote:Please, no.
Shivers Wrote:PRETTY please, no. (paraphrased)
Okay, fine. Smile
I know a bagpipe player who would probably have been interested in doing the music; he has played at multiple world curling championships with his group. Maybe it will be a secret bonus, hehe.

Targos Wrote:Re: Curling
I come from central Otago, which is in the New Zealand Mainland. Its the hottest(40 degrees+Summer) and Coldest(-10 degrees winter) place in NZ. In winter theres this lake in the foothills that freezes over in mid -winter, and all these curlers turn up. The old guys have a great old time. Its quite a sight. Fully outdoors and almost remote. Dry, dusty hills, Thyme, Schist Rocks BriarThorn Bushes, Rabbits. Thats my experience of curling
AC
Is this the place? http://www.nzsouth.co.nz/centralotago/curling.html
Do you have photos of that area? That is definitely the kind of outdoor playing field I was thinking of - just a frozen over pond, with big mountains in the background. Maybe even closer up to the pond, to make things really dramatic.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
Thats the lake. the Willow tree looks good, ay? Sorry i dont have any pictures, I live elsewhere now. You should google for "Manourburn Dam" and Alexandra.
AC
Founder
Results can now be found at:
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124446

Judges comments:
Judge 1
A Tack! Nice idea, needs more gp tuning, which of course is already being done in the later, non 3DU version, but basically a shooter with a nice twist on how your game over situation builds up.
Blocks Away! Good game, although only a single puzzle. Very good use of the physics engine. Might be difficult to expand to a longer game, but works really well as is.
Blood Rush Nice idea, but the gameplay and controls don’t really work. Possibly organising the initial waves of enemies by colour group (so you can get used to the colour controls) and even making it a forced scroller might help (so the player can concentrate on shooting and weapon
Bocce Classiche Good Boules game. potential for improvement, but playable. Well worth polishing up as a release title.
Botbuilder Very ambitious, lots of sophistication and potential. difficult control though probably one that would grow on you. Might be worth adding ‘gyros’ or something that will simplify controls for newbs by auto-compensating on the thrusters and stabilising the bots (they can always be unreliable gyros that lock up on later levels
Curling Not quite finished, but has potential. As with Bocce Classiche, great potential for a casual/family game once finished up and polished.
Death Vortex 3D Lots of options, but pretty basic gameplay. Might be worth presetting some of the better game variations and starting the player with those first, then giving the player (or unlocking) the full option set later once the player has got into the game.
Expanding Universe Very ambitious and reminded me of older games like Mercenary, Sword of Damocles etc. Let down quite a bit by the lack of physics (even faked physics would have been good) and the irritating sound effect, but the sort of game that could be worked into a nice little action adventure game as the developer plays with it.
FIMO: the Revolution Begins Not actually 3D and pretty much a basic shoot-em-up so scored somewhat low. The idea of having a ‘get back into play’ level instead of instant death for the main game was nice though (a bit like the ghost shooting zone in Prey), but probably needs to be shorter to avoid being
FreedomArena Not stunningly original, but well presented and a very good basic platform for adding more gameplay and game types onto. For the capture the flag mode, it may be worth changing the way the guns work somehow, so that it’s easier to kill an opponent with fewer hits, but requires more skill to line the shots up. That way it’s not a case of chasing the flag carrier across the level with your finger on the fire button.
Ghost Warder Didn’t run on my Mac
Heat Shift A rather basic driving game with the world’s most stable Mercedes. Making the car go about twice as fast and adding in the ability to skid would help here. The scenery jumps are a little odd too, although I can see this being an aspect of getting things done within the competition time frame. With more time after the competition, it would be worth splitting the 3 zones and designing full courses for each one. This way you’ve got 3 tracks and you can think about putting different surface characteristics (a bid more slide on the snowy one for instance) on each one.
Hover Puck A bit of a modernised version of Shufflepuck Cafe? Looks nice (possibly the best presented of the 3 ‘nearest the spot’ games) and works very simply, although I’d tag a warning on that you need to release the mouse before the line so the player knows why their ‘throw’ didn’t work.
Hover World Difficult to control initially, but good basic game with some potential. Once it goes first person in the inside sections, control is a lot better, so it’s quite likely that the main issue is camera related (as always). The platforms in the first section show that this game could easily be expanded to a much bigger game with puzzles and general adventuring that would be worth waiting for.
I Hate Clowns: Operation Pie Gones Nice presentation and excellent choice of evil grinning non-funny things to brain with metal objects. Some of the levels throw a nice bit of puzzle at you by requiring you to use less pies to score max points on the few clowns being fired, but gets a bit samey as you go on. Still, good basis for something bigger possibly.
Kenny the charismatic chicken Not a lot of game there yet, but some good 8 bit game grounding (Space Eggs anyone?). Might work a little better if made more 2D (ie left/right aiming only) done in 3D.
Labyrinth Basic tilt board puzzler, pretty good presentation. not very original but 2 game modes and a good basis for future expansion and design.
Lone Survivor A bit of a basic 3D target shooter. Targets are rather hard to hit, compensated for by ‘lock on’ missiles. Some nice styling though, so if anything could benefit by being made more like older games and simplifying the enemies and firing. By doing this, you could focus the gameplay on other elements, like the classic game “Space Ark” for instance, which involved blasting away huge stationary chunks of enemy ships or buildings, but ‘rescuing’ (ie tractor beam shooting) of friendly lifeforms.
MegaPixel Reminded me of Stellar 7, Battlezone etc. Needs the first level to be a bit more exciting to draw people into the better levels afterwards. The ‘single texture’ styling, with everything made of particles works well, but the noisy floor sometimes gets in the way of seeing enemies. While the small combat zone seemed a bit measly in the first level, it works well in the others, as the restriction keeps you in direct action. However, I’d work on balancing the combat so that you’re able to play more by looking in the main screen than having to rely on the radar.
NOT ASTEROIDS Actually, not not Asteroids. Not very 3D. If the ships momentum wasn’t damped so much, it would be easier to chase the asteroids and probably improve the game a bit. Potentially a useful basic engine to build a bigger space game on too.
Parallel Destiny Looked very nice, but I have to admit to having absolutely no idea what was going on!
Rollercoaster Not an actual game. Looked nice though
Space Invaders Rehased Not very 3D, not exactly original either. As with all the other entries though, downloadable and playable within the time limit of the competition, which is actually pretty impressive in itself.
The Gnome Herder A nice and well presented idea for a simple game. Worth messing with the controls to make herding a bit faster/easier, but very cute
The Last Hope Very involved game: kind of puzzly Blast Corps. Needs a lot of work on gameplay tuning, but no major flaws that couldn’t be worked out and the actual game idea is solid. Well worth watching development of this one.
The Late Call (Joe Schultz): Looks great, no actual game there yet it would appear, but I’d definitely like to see what the author does with this given more time.
The Oasis I thought it was a demo at first with the big unskippable intro Smile Another ambitious one, again, way hard to control. Assuming this one is continued after the competition, it could grow into a bit of a classic adventure game (worth sorting out the centre of gravity and power to weight ratio of the jeep though)
The Trivial Room A basic adventure game with questions, although text didn’t display on my Mac so I unfortunately couldn’t get past first room. Worth continuing work on though as it’s the sort of game you can keep messing with and expanding with new ideas.
Tiny Tanks Not stunningly original, but the only one where I got the option to blow stuff up properly. Network play is potentially fun (unfortunately didn’t get a chance to try this) and as with several games in this competition, it’s got a lot of potential for future improvement and expansion.

Judge 2
A Tack! Good idea, needs tweaking to the gameplay to be fun
Blocks Away! Too hard for me
Blood Rush Gameplay not really smooth, boring visuals
Bocce Classiche Quite nice
Botbuilder Is it a game? if it is, it's too hard for me...
Curling A bit boring, needs improvements to gfx/hud
Death Vortex 3D throws exceptions the 2nd time of play, didn't quite figure out the
Expanding Universe Huh?
FreedomArena nothing special
Ghost Warder interesting, but what was that? (i.e. I did not make through the first level)
Heat Shift the most exicing racing game ever...
Hover Puck quite nice
Hover World good idea&art, needs gameplay tweaks
I Hate Clowns: Operation Pie Gones very good, though not the most original
Labyrinth just marbles...
Lone Survivor somehow was too hard for me
MegaPixel speechless
NOT ASTEROIDS Asteroids! Smile
Parallel Destiny cool, but I could not dig the gameplay
The Gnome Herder cool, but who comes up with such control schemes?
The Last Hope controls need some serious tweaking
The Late Call looks great, but where's the game?
The Oasis what was that?
Tiny Tanks what was that again?

Judge 3 - Carlos Camacho, Editor-ini-Chief, iDevGames
Please note: I refrained from listening to any community reviews prior to testing the games. I did NOT read any gameplay instructions from the entrant form (there shouldn't have been ANY in the forum anyways). Before playing a game, I read the readmes. I also looked for in-game instructions and trainers/tutorials. Kudos to the developers who added them! I ran the games in high settings as well as lower-end settings. My 11 year-old neice played each game and gave me input from a young/female perspective. On the plus side, most games were playable considering the limited time for development. That said, I found the lack of sound to be a negative in many entries. In-game menus seemed to also be lacking in many games. As an "older" player, I found games that required four arms and 20 fingers to lose their appeal. The Mac platform seems to be in great need of a modern day InputSprockets so we can put the keyboards and mice aside and once again pick up our gamepads -- many games screamed for gamepad control. This point might be aimed at Apple, and not so much the devs in the contest. My next point is on graphics. Many games utilized a main character/vehicle. Since the object lacked a shadow, they often seem to "glide" across the terrain... So I'd like to see some more shadows used for main characters. In addition, some games had "boundries" that simply ended. As though I reached the "end of the world." Pun intended. Devs need to put up some boundry textures to get away from that. In addition, some sky maps could have been used in a few games to make the background less bland. In closing, thanks to all the devs, judges, community members, and OTEE, for this nice contest. I hope that devs that took part in 3DU will challenge themselves even more for their next entry; for those on the sidelines, I hope to see your entry next time around!

My comments....
A Tack! Would be interesting if the pencils and markers actually drew a picture. Would be a good game for kids under 11. Add some spin motion to the top of the pencils and pens. Add highscore table. Needs music!
Blocks Away! Interesting concept, but I needed more time to finish the first level! Needs music and SFX.
Blood Rush Game seemed choppy on my old machine. I wish the first level was a little easier.
Bocce Classiche Does this game have music and SFX? Needs them! How about interesting backgrounds? Maybe a top down view too.
Botbuilder It looked interesting but I had no idea how to play the game.
Curling Shouldn't this game have brooms? Needs a crowd background.
Death Vortex 3D The course should have bends. There should be different kind of enemy balls or objects.
Expanding Universe Lots to do but the controls were hard. Needs better textures.
FIMO: the Revolution Begins Interesting story but nothing new for this type of game.
FreedomArena Nice graphics and sound. Does it have shadows under the vehicle?
Ghost Warder Game would not run
Heat Shift Strange choice of vehicle for the terrian. Not much of a game. Sometimes the car would move in odd ways.
Hover Puck The gamescreen was a little bland. I didn't hear SFX!
Hover World Neat graphics and SFX.
I Hate Clowns: Operation Pie Gones Great SFX and funny idea. Became boring but overall a nice kids game.
Kenny the charismatic chicken No sound! Idea is too simple. How about interesting powerups, or game screens?
Labyrinth I wasn't good at this game. I wish the maze was smaller at lower levels.
Lone Survivor Mouse control was too sensitive. Background screen didn't wrap around the player. Not so interesting.
MegaPixel Unique graphic style and great sound.
NOT ASTEROIDS I recommend wireframe style for the asteroids. Add some wireframe planets as well. Some wireframe particle effects.
Parallel Destiny Abosutely love the graphic style.
Space Invaders Rehased Not enough to set this apart from thousands of over shoot'em ups. Needs to take more advantage of "3D"
The Gnome Herder Cute game.
The Last Hope Add a shadow to the bomb. Good sound. Not sure if I could understand the gameplay so well.
The Late Call Nothing as scary as walking alone at night in fog on coblestone. Very much hope to see became a "game."
The Oasis I expected an interesting game, however what I saw was a guy on his cell phone calling AAA. Where's the game?
Tiny Tanks Add tread sound to moving tank. Add a world boundry graphic around the world. Maybe add a radar HUD.

Judge 4
A Tack! Very nice and with good progressively increasing pressure. A well-rounded entry.
Blocks Away! Sort of a "reverse Jenga", interesting but too limited since it only had on level and gameplay mode. Excellent graphic quality and well tweaked physics.
Blood Rush Needs more variety, color switching doesn't really add to gameplay in this case.
Bocce Classiche Another well-rounded entry. Basic but functional gameplay with useful graphical cues.
Botbuilder Very interesting and configurable, although it did ran a bit slow for precise control on my MacBook. Some training levels would occasionally fail to recognize the completion of required tasks.
Curling Interesting but suffers from a bad AI opponent. Initial screen too short. The power level wasn't immediately obvious, but provides good control (in fact, perhaps too good).
Death Vortex 3D Lots of options but not enough to make gameplay feel noticeably different. After entering highscores, sometimes the game would continue to run several instances in the background "by itself" and then crash.
Expanding Universe Not very original in either gameplay or style. A few bugs, like missing animations that would bring out a console that covered a large part of the screen with no obvious way to remove it, and a few places where the character would get stuck. Loading saved games would consistently crash the game.
FIMO: the Revolution Begins Typical 2D top-down shooter, barely any use of 3D.
FreedomArena Great graphics but ran too slow on my machine. Basic capture the flag gameplay well implemented but could use a bit more variation. The translucent direction arrow was a bit hard to see, particularly when in front of terrain.
Ghost Warder The first level is WAY too slow paced, and having to do it all over from the start several times when losing in the second level(s) wasn't fun. Still, very original and with an interesting mood.
Heat Shift Very basic racing game, could have scored higher if there were props in the terrain to indicate starting & ending points, as well as general on-screen status indicators. Feels more like an early stage of a tech demo.
Hover Puck Nice general "look". Suffers from a difficult control system (the drag and release method is extremely hard to do with any sort of precision) and a slightly misaligned top view that doesn't match the 3D view exactly, making scoring a bit of a trial & error matter during the first couple of games.
Hover World Great graphics, typical run-thru-rings gameplay. Control is a bit on the difficult side, and performance is only ok-ish if running at very low graphical settings on my machine.
I Hate Clowns: Operation Pie Gones Very well presented, interesting gameplay but gets old fast.
Kenny the charismatic chicken 3D actually makes this game harder to play. Additional depth clues could help but I'm not sure how much.
Labyrinth Very well presented, but not particularly original.
Lone Survivor Nice game, although it could use a bit more dynamism to keep the pace going. The static enemies released by the Blackships seemed a bit too static, occasionally making them hard to find behind the blue HUD.
MegaPixel Great graphics style, interesting flocking enemy behaviors, variety in levels and weapons. Overall, a pretty complete entry.
NOT ASTEROIDS 3D actually makes this game harder to play. Additional depth clues could help but I'm not sure how much.
Parallel Destiny Nice graphics and mood, but it feels more like a tech demo than a game.
Space Invaders Rehased Typical 2D top-down shooter, barely any use of 3D. Collision detection could use a bit of fine-tuning.
The Gnome Herder Very well presented entry, with great graphics and good performance. The chosen control interface wasn't that great though. A traditional "wasd+mouse look" control scheme would have made lining up the gnomes for collection a lot less frustrating.
The Last Hope Very nice and with increasingly difficult levels. The collision detection between the bot and the bomb was somewhat hard to understand and master. Difficulty increased perhaps too rapidly with each level.
The Late Call Extremely nice graphics and mood, but it feels more like a tech demo than a game. Would probably make an interesting game once finished.
The Oasis Extremely slow on my machine, barely playable and with broken physics. Nonetheless, once/if the performance problems are addressed, it seems like it could make the base for a good adventure game.
Tiny Tanks Not particularly original. Network play is probably a lot more fun, but I couldn't test that part. There were a few spots on the training level where it was easy to get stuck and the only way out was starting over.

Judge 5
FIMO: the Revolution Begins Not 3D
Ghost Warder Interesting mood but i couldnt figure out the goal
MegaPixel This is the best indie game i've played this year!
Parallel Destiny Beautiful graphics, very nicely done, but game play seems to be lacking
The Late Call Awesome sound and graphics but game play seems to be missing
Tiny Tanks Multiplayer doesn't work and there didnt seem to be any bot enemies. Could be that i am missing something here.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
Cheers
So what are our options if we won 9month Unity licenses and we already own Unity Indie?
Thanks
AC
Thanks for the feedback from every judge! That is one of the best parts of the contest.
Congratulations to the winners! I had a lot of fun playing all the games from the contest.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I just wanted to point out that Unity games actually do support gamepads/joysticks.

-Jon
I'd like to thank the judges for their efforts, and for all their comments. Same goes for Najdorf, who took the time to play every game and comment.

Most people only got to play some of the games, but thanks to those who did, especially if you sent any comments back to the developer. I'll try to give out more feedback myself, next time around.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Nibbie
Yeah, thanks for the feedback judges... certainly the most isightful part of this whole experience for me. Not just for my own entry, but to see how other entries were seen from other perspectives. I learned a lot from that.

I'm hooked now, I can't wait for the next contest to see what I can try and accomplish. Competition is very exciting and it's great to see what we can all do in a fun and healthy environment like this.

Congratulations to the winners, and to all the others we'll be back next time in full force I'm sure Wink
Apprentice
Yeah thanks for the input! It is interesting to hear what the judges thought and will help us all make better, more accessible games I think.

@the judge who complained about the floor and said he had to use the radar a lot: This is actually a bug that only happens on faster machines! I wrote a script that changes the number and size of the particles depending on the FPS but at high FPS the floor becomes way too dense. I didn't catch that because my dev computer is a eMac with radeon 7500 and I only got to test the game on a iMac twice.
Thank you to the judges. In order to make best use of your feedback I have a couple of points for each of you. None of the comments are intended to be seen as complaints of why I did not get more points but instead are there for me to get as much information as possible.

Judge 1 Wrote:Very involved game: kind of puzzly Blast Corps. Needs a lot of work on gameplay tuning, but no major flaws that couldn’t be worked out and the actual game idea is solid. Well worth watching development of this one.

Thank you. Future development depends entirely on time. Very possible I may switch to using Torque 3D to turn this into a full game due to the fact that the 9 month Unity trial version may well have nearly expired before I can get to work on it.

Judge 2 Wrote:controls need some serious tweaking

May I ask what you in your view needs improving? Only one such comment from the judges makes me think either you have higher standards or, unfortunately, you just did not get it. My experience with the game so far has been that causal gamers have no problem with it yet the more hardcore gamers do. Which category do you fall into?

Judge 3 Wrote:Add a shadow to the bomb. Good sound. Not sure if I could understand the gameplay so well.

The game play is just clear the path for the bomb to get to the end,avoiding the obstacles, before the time runs out. It is simple as that or am I seeing it as simple as I created it? What did you not understand?

Judge 4 Wrote:Very nice and with increasingly difficult levels. The collision detection between the bot and the bomb was somewhat hard to understand and master. Difficulty increased perhaps too rapidly with each level.

I was never happy with the collision detection between the bot and the bomb. I made the mistake of relying on Unity to handle the physics for me. If there had been more time then I could have done some tweaking or replacing with scripts.

The contest version of the game was only ever designed as a taster. If a full game were ever to be developed then the levels would have a smoother difficulty curve. However for the contest I wanted to provide an example of different types of level.

Did you play all the entries or would The Last Hope not run on your system?

Now for a couple of general questions.

Are we going to get a break down of the scores? I would be especially interested to see the originality scores versus age of the judges.

Could we get a list of the specs of the machines each judge was using? This would be useful in letting us know the range of computers are entries currently perform on.
Fishy
Unregistered

I greatly appreciate the input on my game, Death Vortex. Looks like the problems I know (Changing the screen resolution breaks stuff, the score test get mangled every-once and a while, and sometimes the screen get all messed up) of got past the judges, but there were a few other bugs left. Thats what I get for compiling 10 minuets before the deadline with 5 minuets of testing on the final build. As my first actual playable 3D game (I have another game in progress, but not close to done), and my first contest I say that was great fun and went very well. I recommend to all of you not joining the contests (Probably not too many of the readers here) to join them, its fun! Thanks!

Now if I can only get my unity demo to run. Unity does not seem to work on my computer, but the support people seem great, which is good to know!

I promised a screenshot, but they all come out horrible. If I get a good one I will post it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3DU contest comments Najdorf 23 13,145 Dec 22, 2006 09:21 AM
Last Post: dtaylorl