Indexed Face Sets (meshes)

I am parsing a file in the .iv mesh format. when I look at it, it shows that there are 8,695 points that define the mesh (so, how many triangles is that?). It also shows that there are 39,456 texture coordinates defined (I've noticed that most of them on the end are 0.000000, but even subtracting those, the number is still almost 20,000 off Annoyed
I'm really confused by this: I thought that each 3D object coordinate corresponded with a texture coordinate? After reading around for awhile, it appears that Indexed Face Sets may have something to do with it this? I'm really quite lost, sorry Sad
Thanks guys Smile
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Quote this message in a reply
This has been dealt with before. Start near the bottom of this thread, then move on to this thread.
perfect. I'll look around then Smile
Am I even going about this the right way?
-wyrmmage

The thing is, you have the lists of vertices and texture coordinates, and then the index list which has an index to the vertices and texture coordinates. This is because there are often duplicate vertices and texture coordinates, which are then eliminated by indexing into an array of unique vertices and texture coordinates. In this case, there are more unique texture coordinates than vertices.
akb825 Wrote:The thing is, you have the lists of vertices and texture coordinates, and then the index list which has an index to the vertices and texture coordinates. This is because there are often duplicate vertices and texture coordinates, which are then eliminated by indexing into an array of unique vertices and texture coordinates. In this case, there are more unique texture coordinates than vertices.

ok, that makes sense. I had a file that had more unique vertices than texture coords, so that rather confused me. The index list is the same for object coords and texture coords, right?
-wyrmmage

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calculate face direction from bvh or 3d skeleton data harisz 3 2,561 May 29, 2013 10:50 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  OpenGL and concave meshes Ashford 3 4,032 Nov 21, 2009 10:31 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  glDrawElements and Face indices Ashford 8 10,875 Nov 11, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: Ashford
  Simple ray-face intersect optimization NYGhost 8 5,831 Aug 17, 2007 12:01 PM
Last Post: NYGhost
  Calculating tangent coords for arbitrary poly meshes TomorrowPlusX 8 5,324 Jul 9, 2007 03:10 PM
Last Post: Hog