2D Graphics wih Objective-C

unknown Wrote:Yeah of course I know the saying, I just dont see why you are saying it.. anyway it doesnt matter.
It seems to me that when someone puts out the effort to help the community, their product should not be so easily derided. How many people have decided not to publish their own tutorials because of reading ungrateful and flippant remarks, such as those found in this thread? One could make the argument that: `if they aren't perfectly accurate then we don't want them', but that seems foolish to me. Perhaps I am wrong. Apparently, you either don't agree, or don't care.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I don't feel I'm in a glass house; it's not like I'm squirreling away my own knowledge, or failing to put out tutorials because I'm afraid they'll be shot down.

And I absolutely believe that bad tutorials are worse than no tutorials -- the number of people who've been misled by Deep Cocoa is quite large, and only some of them have ended up here asking how to fix the problems. Others have released shareware games on the code and then wondered why nobody with a PowerBook can play, for example.
Sage
AnotherJake Wrote:It seems to me that when someone puts out the effort to help the community, their product should not be so easily derided. How many people have decided not to publish their own tutorials because of reading ungrateful and flippant remarks, such as those found in this thread? One could make the argument that: `if they aren't perfectly accurate then we don't want them', but that seems foolish to me. Perhaps I am wrong. Apparently, you either don't agree, or don't care.

Oh I see what you mean, and to an extent I agree. The best person to learn something from is someone who has just learned it, they are usually the most enthusiastic about it and remember all the pitfalls to avoid and such.
on the other hand though disinformation is disinformation and theres not much use in somthing that isnt worth the HTML its printed on.

How good the tutorials are I dont know, but we should definitly not surpress our opinions in case people stop writing tutorials, people will just try and write better ones if they get criticism.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:The best person to learn something from is someone who has just learned it, they are usually the most enthusiastic about it and remember all the pitfalls to avoid and such.
That is really not at all the point I was trying to make.

OneSadCooki Wrote:And I absolutely believe that bad tutorials are worse than no tutorials...
I fully agree that bad information is worse than no information; I would never suggest otherwise. But, the fact of the matter is that we do not have many tutorial resources on the Mac to begin with. It's not like you can't shoot off an email or two to the author to inform them of their mistakes. Instead, you insist that there exists no value whatsoever in those tutorials. I maintain, that attitude is perhaps a bit unhelpful to our community -- our glass house, not yours.
Does anyone have an opinion about ClanLib? It seems like a nice layer over SDL and OpenGL...

Also, the PTK engine looks good as well, just I can't seem to get a working build to run... Sad Any suggestions?
I haven't used ClanLib, or PTK... but I wouldn't shy away from stepping down a level. It only took me a few days to get some cool stuff happening on screen with SDL and OpenGL, and that was without much knowledge of anything to do with graphics and so on. I found the NeHe tutorials very useful.

If I were to start again, though, I might consider going with Cocoa and OpenGL.