Torque Game Builder

Today I finally got around to getting the latest build of the Torque Game Builder (the Torque 2D engine).

I have spent an afternoon (including distractions) playing with it and working through some of the tutorials.

My first impressions are very good.

I've seen no sign of being treated as a second class citizen due to using the Mac side of things. (The only Mac related issue I have had is the use of F10 which Apple have stolen for their own use Mad )

A very refreshing discovery is that the tutorials actually work. So many times in the past I have worked through tutorials for various things only for them not to work. The only issue is that the tutorials mention having to restart TGB when scripts are edited, via an external text editor, but no longer seems to be the case.

Before I move on to the tutorial for a scrolling game I am going to try putting together my own single screen game.
Quote this message in a reply
If F10 activates Expose and you don't want it to, you can change that in the Expose preferences.

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
I have finally made some headway with my Torque Game Builder experiments.

Before people start jumping up and down in delight and shouting out 'Told you so!' I must say that the brick walls I've run up against have been in the real world getting in the way of computer fun and not issues with the TGB.

Last weekend I finished off my experiments by putting together a small fun game involving bouncing objects off other objects to score points. A fun proof of concept without having to worry myself about physics, OpenGL, audio stuff or particle engines.

This weekend I spent some time going through a platform game example and then expanding the game myself.

The game I've come up with works well for the results of half a day or so playing. I did run into one or two problems (just like working with anything new) which I managed to work out myself in the end. Knowing what I have learnt so far I know that when I come to put together a more adventurous game things will get developed more quicker.

I have run into one major stumbling block for now though in that the built for release version of my game behaves slightly differently to the development version. I've experienced the same problem on both Windows and Mac so it does not look like a 'Mac second class citizen' issue. I have posted to the TGB forum so hopefully I will get a solution soon.

When this issue is resolved I will be uploading my short game for the world to see.
⌘-R in Chief
Cool. Keep it up.
It's not my platform game but instead something else I put together.

It is a simple game Water Waste that involves you using an umbrella to deflect rain drops into green puddles to recycle the water. The game ends when all the water in the system has been wasted by falling off the bottom of the screen.

This is a very basic game (i.e. far from complete and missing polish and stuff) and something I have several ideas to expand upon.

http://office.asae.co.uk/misc/WaterWaste.zip
A newer version can now be found at http://office.asae.co.uk/misc/WaterWaste002.zip
http://office.asae.co.uk/misc/WaterWaste003.zip

New this time:

* generation of power ups
* umbrella no longer moved by heavy rain
* amount of rain drops increased
* size of 'splash' increased
* changed guttering layout
Interesting concept. Makes me long for Kickman for some reason.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
Fun little game Smile Glad you are enjoying TGB.

Matthew Langley
Lead Documentation Engineer
GarageGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Torque 2D MIT Announced SethWillits 0 2,652 Jan 2, 2013 01:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Torque is R.I.P.? Carlos Camacho 10 8,052 May 20, 2012 10:22 AM
  Torque Game Builder (2D) Breakout Tutorial SethWillits 0 6,894 May 1, 2008 01:39 AM
  Torque Jones 44 18,050 Dec 13, 2006 12:31 AM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Unity contra Torque Nitocris 12 7,255 Nov 9, 2006 12:00 PM
Last Post: Matt Langley