Yet another Text Based RPG thread

Greyvold
Unregistered

Hello.

I have read several threads regarding Text Based RPG's. The information has definitely given me direction. Thanks!

I have a few more questions though.

Oh, and to clarify something - I'm talking about Browser Based Text games, not MUD's. My intention is to create a game that does NOT need Telnet or any other client (although some MUD's now are Java/Browser based). Please refer to the following sites for the type of game I will eventually make:

http://www.syrnia.com/

http://www4.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php

http://www.international-fw.de/

There are a ton of text games out there that are not MUD's and that are strictly browser based. This is the concept I like and that I will use. I believe the games I listed are primarily PHP, MySQL, and Java/JavaScript. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Recently I have decided to undertake a new hobby - programming. I plan on taking a PHP/MySQL course this semester, but I may try to find online guides instead (to save money primarily). I have seen the links you have given to others and I plan on reading them all, but one thing was missing...

What free webhosting do you recommend for code testing?

I don't want to spend any cash as of yet if I can help it (aside from books and/or classes). So far all of the free webhosting sites I've gone to don't allow MySQL or PHP within its "free" accounts. Before I commit to paying for webhosting, I'd like to find out if there are any free alternatives.

Also, will I need a compiler or any other type of software to program? One of the threads said no for PHP/MySQL, but how about for Java?

One last thing, this is a Mac site and I am not a Mac user. Is it better to program text based games (or any game type) on a Mac vs. a PC?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. My apologies for starting yet another thread of this type. I have read that I need to start small and I will, but first to get these questions answered.

Thanks again!
Quote this message in a reply
Greyvold Wrote:Please refer to the following sites for the type of game I will eventually make:
(urls here)
Those aren't really text-based. They're built on the same concepts, but also add images as output and use the mouse as input. I consider this a plus. (And I love Kingdom of Loathing.)

Greyvold Wrote:There are a ton of text games out there that are not MUD's and that are strictly browser based. This is the concept I like and that I will use. I believe the games I listed are primarily PHP, MySQL, and Java/JavaScript. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Looks like you've done your homework. Excellent work, that's more than we can say for most new users here.

Greyvold Wrote:What free webhosting do you recommend for code testing?
I believe http://www.100webspace.com/ will suit your needs, though it has ads. I can also loan you some space on my own site, since it sounds like you won't use much space or bandwidth. (Email me at diordna (at) gmail.com)

Greyvold Wrote:Also, will I need a compiler or any other type of software to program? One of the threads said no for PHP/MySQL, but how about for Java?
If it's a web-based game, then chances are you'll be using Javascript, not Java. Javascript is "compiled" when the web page reaches the user's web browser. PHP isn't really compiled at all, I think (might be wrong), so you won't need a compiler for that either. MySQL isn't actually a programming language per se, but it's something that is installed on your server as a sort of storage device that things like PHP programs can access for information on players.

Greyvold Wrote:One last thing, this is a Mac site and I am not a Mac user. Is it better to program text based games (or any game type) on a Mac vs. a PC?
Since your game will be run from a web browser, it makes no difference. But if you ever want to write a platform-specific game, we're all obligated to say "go Mac!" There are some great, easy tools you can use to writes games for both platforms at the same time as well (Unity, BlitzMax).

Hope I helped.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help to make an online text-based rpg game just_gabe 0 4,895 Dec 6, 2009 04:13 PM
Last Post: just_gabe
  How to Design a Text Based MMORPG? SpireGames 3 5,708 Mar 23, 2009 01:40 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Text based graphics game mmorpg. MetalMouth 6 5,698 Mar 4, 2008 09:55 AM
Last Post: drslinky1500
  I Have my text-based mmorpg set up just need function.php fixed htmlgary 1 3,194 Jul 12, 2007 01:07 AM
Last Post: Taxxodium
  Need Help Making Text Based MMORPG Burak 6 7,598 Jan 24, 2007 06:14 PM
Last Post: azoundria