Adventure game engine?

unknown Wrote:probably a lot harder than writing from scratch.
Annoyed I would hope its not harder than writing it from scratch... I mean, Lucas Arts built SCUMM in order to make writing new adventure games easier. Although if there is not any good documentation available that would make it pretty difficult.
Quote this message in a reply
Blacktiger Wrote:Annoyed I would hope its not harder than writing it from scratch... I mean, Lucas Arts built SCUMM in order to make writing new adventure games easier. Although if there is not any good documentation available that would make it pretty difficult.

SCUMM is only the engine, not some adventure game creation package, and they used the Maniac Mansion engine and added stuff to it for each game, so it might be easier for Lucas Arts to use it but not for everyone else.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Sage
But I would love to see more adventure games, so please dont get discouraged! Grin

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

For a simple adventure game creator, try GameMaker.
http://macgamemaker.com
Sage
mac game dev forum + you didnt even mention what system you have. No.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
AlStaffieri Wrote:For a simple adventure game creator, try GameMaker.
http://macgamemaker.com
Seems like Al only prowls the forums these days looking for places to advertize. You'll notice he only has 10 posts.

If you want to buy GameMaker, don't. SilverCreator is free. But I don't recommend either.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Gamer man
Unregistered

unknown Wrote:mac game dev forum + you didnt even mention what system you have. No.
first of all sorry coz i don't have mac, my system is windows p4 3.0ghz H.T
Gamer man Wrote:first of all sorry coz i don't have mac, my system is windows p3 3.0ghz H.T

We are more than happy to support and provide development on the Windows platform where cross-platform topics are involved.

However when the question is related to a purely Windows only tool then no one will be able to provide assistance.

All we can suggest is that you search the internet for adventure game engines or post your question to a Windows game development forum.
diordna Wrote:Seems like Al only prowls the forums these days looking for places to advertize. You'll notice he only has 10 posts.

If you want to buy GameMaker, don't. SilverCreator is free. But I don't recommend either.

A card based adventure game may be the perfect place to start really. A lot of neat games were made in Hypercard (Myst, for example.)

The coding is probably the easiest part. Coming up with the puzzles, art, intriguing story---that's where most of the time will be spent.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Gamer man
Unregistered

Andrew Sage Wrote:We are more than happy to support and provide development on the Windows platform where cross-platform topics are involved.

However when the question is related to a purely Windows only tool then no one will be able to provide assistance.

All we can suggest is that you search the internet for adventure game engines or post your question to a Windows game development forum.
Ok man i understood...
Gamer man
Unregistered

Any one know about the windows forum plz..
@Gamer man, you might want to try the forums over at GameDev.net...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Apprentice
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:The coding is probably the easiest part. Coming up with the puzzles, art, intriguing story---that's where most of the time will be spent.
That's what I'm hoping for. I can't code and I also don't like it, but I love making up puzzles and stories and sometimes I think I'm good at that. Art... well, if I make a stickman adventure game and it rocks, I bet I can find someone willing to create the art for me =]

(I admit I would like coding if I could code. Now it's just frustration over not being able to make my awesome ideas happen. Smile )
Gamer man
Unregistered

sealfin Wrote:@Gamer man, you might want to try the forums over at GameDev.net...
Thanks a lot..
gamer man,
check out:
http://www.madmonkey.net/page.cgi/engines
which has some different game dev engines (both mac and pc) including adventure engines, rpg, fps, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adventure Puzzle Game (With Pic!) mickyg 3 4,499 Feb 21, 2012 11:15 AM
Last Post: Mediacitygames
  Install "Torque Game Engine Advanced" Problem mahdavi 1 3,946 May 25, 2009 11:48 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  TrueBones Animations in Game Engine mrbones 0 2,981 Mar 29, 2008 12:22 AM
Last Post: mrbones
  2-D game engine Chris _h 9 7,106 Mar 8, 2007 01:08 AM
Last Post: nich
  Importance of an 'engine' in a basic game. seven 13 7,553 Jan 20, 2005 01:28 PM
Last Post: ravuya