Skeletal Animation

BinarySpike Wrote:also what version of python does that use?

The blender2cal3d script uses python version 2.4
Quote this message in a reply
lightbringer Wrote:The blender2cal3d script uses python version 2.4

Of course it does, I'm the only guy on earth that can find something that won't work on the OS he decides to use...

That is good to know for my friend though, that means he can model and I can load.

I get some error about libSystem.A.dylib not containing a function it should, when I run blender-2.42-python-2.4...

unknown Wrote:It took me one night to get the FBX SDK working and to make a character walk around a chess board.
I would definitly recommend trying modelling in whatever program of your choice, then using Inspire to bone and animate and the FBX SDK to load and draw in your program.

FBX is great and all, but inspire is mac only. I need x-platform support while building this. the skeletal animation is the *only* thing that I had no ability build by myself.

While animadead is probably better than Cal3D, it only supports Maya and Max.
(no offense but it was, by far, better presented than Cal3D)

I've been around 3D Modeling since before I learned HTML... I was just looking for a "pipeline" that supported windows, mac, and linux.

And I've been around x-platform for around a year now... I'm only worried about windows networking... *grumbles something about winsockets*

akb825 Wrote:If you're serious about programming, you really should upgrade. Most things are starting to require Panther at the minimum, and even Tiger oftentimes. If you have a student discount, it's only something like $70 for Tiger.

*doesn't want to get in trouble with OSC again...* Sneaky

Simple I'm gonna upgrade to intel linux. Linux has all kinds of programs and is perfect for x-platform stuff. I can then do mac release builds on this computer.
(which btw doesn't have any bugs in the gcc so it will run perfectly 10.2+ with one build)

My friend is testing that plugin, if that works then I will have figured everything out ;-) if not... I'm gonna burn python with an e-flame

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
BinarySpike Wrote:(no offense but it was, by far, better presented than Cal3D)

Generally people don't decide which plugin they're going to use based on how pretty and usable their website is. Quite simply Animadead isn't mature enough to use (mainly for non-Maya and Max users, IE most of us), but Cal3D (when you piece the components that are out there together) actually has a decent pipeline.

BinarySpike Wrote:My friend is testing that plugin, if that works then I will have figured everything out ;-) if not... I'm gonna burn python with an e-flame

Like I said before, skeletal animation is tough and takes time to implement (especially with what's currently available). I would recommend you work with LERP'd animated files (a series of OBJ files or MD2) as they're less of a pain and easier to implement on your own.
Luminary
BinarySpike Wrote:Simple I'm gonna upgrade to intel linux. Linux has all kinds of programs and is perfect for x-platform stuff. I can then do mac release builds on this computer.
(which btw doesn't have any bugs in the gcc so it will run perfectly 10.2+ with one build)

You'll have trouble building a universal binary Rasp
The cal exporters for blender haven't worked on my friend's windows. I decided I'll write a command line converter.

aka, drag and drop is automatically supported on command line for windows and is cake to install in /usr/bin and just type calConverter <drops file here> for mac...

lightbringer Wrote:Generally people don't decide which plugin they're going to use based on how pretty and usable their website is. Quite simply Animadead isn't mature enough to use (mainly for non-Maya and Max users, IE most of us), but Cal3D (when you piece the components that are out there together) actually has a decent pipeline.

I looked quiet hard at animadead, it's basically has the same features.
(not sure about LOD though)

Quote:Like I said before, skeletal animation is tough and takes time to implement (especially with what's currently available). I would recommend you work with LERP'd animated files (a series of OBJ files or MD2) as they're less of a pain and easier to implement on your own.

Er... that sounds hard and painful...
Wouldn't it just be easier to write a converter? There is no FDX exporter on blender! Huh

Converters are easy and depending on how you implement them can be from a couple days to a week to write. (if you do it from scratch like I did a couple times like I did)

Now I just need to find a good format that blender supports and has some source code I can look at Sneaky

Skeletal animation is tricky to do yourself because there are so many "unknowns". I have been facing this problem for quite a while and finally decided to dig in and get it done. After about a week of pulling my hair I got the exported data correct and all the joint transformations sorted out.
I have an exporter that exports to my own format from Maya and I can now handle most animation setups. I still need to do the blending between two animations and after that it should be working pretty nicely.

It was quite a lot of work and head scratching to get it all working but it was well worth it now that it's done. Feels great to not be limited to simple static game objects Smile

KenD

CodeBlender Software - http://www.codeblender.com
This whole IK thing wasn't very hard to learn, coupled with the fact that around the same time I was doing school on bones and all and how they only have four types of movement.

I heard in the Ty the Tasmanian, the first one, they had problems with his knees and the animation so they put shorts over the knees.

Anyway, little update, I'm writing a python plugin that exports blender data (aka bDATA)

I'm gonna write a bDATA to Cal converter in C++...

Now don't go and say how stupid that is because developers have no direct way to access the .blend data, but using bDATA any developer can get direct access to everything that would normaly be stored in blender.
(or at least the amount of data I want... I might just want to stick with meshes, animations, bones, and materials)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NuiCapture for Windows Kinect Depth and Skeletal and Facial recording software mrbones 0 3,144 Sep 16, 2012 09:07 AM
Last Post: mrbones
  Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead kelvin 2 4,291 Feb 14, 2005 04:31 PM
Last Post: johnb003