Little Help

Apprentice
Well hay all l'm mat though l'll introduce myself as killsquad92
ok well l'm basiclly new, l carn't say that l haven't writen a program but there is one thing also to be said it was in applescript so l know the work part and trial and error part + l got time on my hands to burn so l decided to make a game online, this is the start so the first thing to ask would be
- Is it possible to make a game via a programing program? that this site may help me with?
and the second question would be if it's possible (the first question) hen wat program would it be(l'm on mac to add some more problems)
so could some one answer those while l think up some more questions
-killsquad92-
thanx
mat
Oldtimer
Whoa, someone who comes here and thinks that being on a Mac is the problem! Grin This is a Mac community, and we usually get a bunch of Winusers instead. Wink

AppleScript won't get you very far, I'm afraid. As for tools, you should either install the Developer Tools that came with your Mac, and then learn Obj-C or C++ or something like that, or go the Python/PyGame route. There's a great stickied post on the forum that should get you started:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11896

Also, welcome here! Smile
Apprentice
well first question do u have a msn?
well trust me in the world of games being on mac is a big problem
anywho
yes l know l'll get basiclly nowhere with applescript but it's still cool
now l'm intrested in wat u said that l should have developer tools that came with my computer (l'm 14 so my dad will have them) now wat would they be called and how would l use them or how would they help me?
well l want to learn c or the other types of c(++) etc etc
but one question where would l then use it + where could l learn it online, books?
now l saw in a cd my dad had it has python which l instaled casue l wanna learn so l saw that some progams were made that way so l followed suit
btu can u point me in the direction of python help ie. fourms and stuff to help
by the way l have read that board
first thing l did
-killsquad92-
Luminary
Having a Mac is no problem at all. In fact, it's probably better than the other two options, since the developer tools are free and come with your computer (unlike Windows) and the OpenGL drivers just work (unlike Linux).

The iDevGames chat is on irc.freenode.net#idevgames.
Apprentice
Yea my dads has them l think but what are there names or is it just called developer tools?
-killsquad92-
Luminary
"developer tools" or "xcode tools" depending on what OS version they came with. They might be on the OS install disc, on a separate disc, or on the hard disk in /Applications/Installers/

[edit]Wow, I managed to spell "disc" two different ways in one sentence Blink [/edit]
Apprentice
l got os x
-killsquad92-
Apprentice
OMG

I have OS X too!
Sage
Sodoi!..................

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Oldtimer
Kev: tempted to kill your post, but... nah. Wink

Matt, rummage through your CD:s and look for a CD named either "Developer Tools" or "XCode Tools" - "version of OS" in this case means Jaguar, Panther or Tiger or the like. If you can't find them,register for a free Apple Developer Connection account and download XCode from there.

XCode is a program which wraps an editor, a compiler and a set of other tools together - a so called IDE.

If you decide to go the Python route, you'll probably be best off using XCode primarily as your editor, and then use the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) to run the Python applications. I noticed that you said that you installed Python - no need to, just type "python" in the Terminal and hit enter.

Work your way through some Python tutorials - give it a week or two to wrap your head around it, and then hit PyGame. We'll be here for you, all the way. Rasp

Also (attempting this without sounding like a bitch), please try to take your spelling more seriously. We try to (and succeed) to have a professional outlook, and spell checking goes a long way. Wink

Ping back if you need more hand-holding. Ninja
Apprentice
finally some results ur post is really helpful compared to other post l've had
mainly casue you mentioned my name
dam everyone refurs to me as" " do this " " do that
or they put killsquad92 l like that and matt but l don't like not being refured to as " " is really poor, anywho l have signed up to like 15 sites and forums and everything to make me understand all this and get help etc etc
and your the only one to actually help and thats in 2 days so yea thanx
anywho l have been told by many people to clear up my posts etc etc and stuff but seriously can u read it? if you cannot please tell me then l'll try a little harder at makeing it proper but in anycomputer thing applescript , html l write it proper as a computer will not undertand me but us humans do understand me so you see why l still will write that way
ok now actually wat l was trying to say:
yea l don't own the cds but l'll get my dad to find them for me
yea l don't care if you act like a bitch etc etc to me l'm used to it + the spelling stuff just say spelling matt spelling and l'll try to make my next post propper but still theres no promise as my fingers are used to typeing inproper
-killsquad92-
which program, enviroment watever, would be best to make a online multiplay game cross - platfrom, thats what l'm hoping to make later on in life(3 - 4 weeks) na mabye a little longer than that
matt
killsquad92 Wrote:can u read it? if you cannot please tell me then l'll try a little harder at makeing it proper
It is very difficult to read. If people have to work hard to make sense of your posts, which is currently the case, they're likely to be less inclined to respond. Essentially, you'd be helping yourself a lot by cleaning up your typing.
Matt, to further explain the issue of which operating system you have, Jaguar, Panther, etc. are just names for the different version numbers of OS X. There have been five major releases of OS X, 10.0 through 10.4. On the earlier versions the developer tools were just called Developer Tools but on the later versions they are called Xcode. It is important that the version of Xcode you are running matches the operating system you are running. If you've ever upgraded your operating system and have lost the newest Xcode CD, installing an older copy of Xcode won't work. You will get errors whenever you try to open a project. The main issue is just to be sure you're using the Xcode CD that came with your latest system install CD, and that if you don't have that Xcode CD, to just download Xcode from the Apple Developers site.
Apprentice
I believe the running version is 10. 04 or somthing like that
um... still don't know about the Xcode thing my dads looking for it (siting on the couch) anywho l'll see if l can get him moving
l don't believe we got it updated so it should not need to be downloaded
hows that for proper english?
-killsquad92-
p.s once l have instaled and opened Xcode, or what ever what type of syntax do l use? (C++, C, etc etc)
Luminary
That was intended to be English? In my experience, English often has capital letters, punctuation, sequences of letters that appear in a dictionary, or more than a passing resemblance to the grammar you might find in a textbook.

Once you've got Xcode installed, you could start here: http://onesadcookie.com/Tutorials -- it'll walk you through setting up a simple OpenGL application with Xcode.
Thread Closed