Programming Challenges

Greetings all,
I'm working on programming a series of really small programs. I'm looking for programming challenges like:

--Program a Tic Tac Toe game
----Two player mode as we as an AI mode

Any challenges are good, though the easier they are, the better. Rasp I'm not looking for something that would be out of my league. Jumping into the high tide is usually not too smart, less you know how to swim real well. Wink

So, any challenges you've faced when learning programming, or just anything you wish to suggest for me to program will be helpful. I may design a little C programming challenge site that has a 100 challenges that are sorted by difficulty. So, anything you guys can think up, please post.

Thanks!

~Achi
Quote this message in a reply
Here's something I did for fun in my early C days. There's a game (called "IQ Tester", I believe) which consists of a triangular board with 15 holes in it, and 14 pegs that go in the holes. Starting with one empty space (in any position on the board), the goal is to jump one peg over another into an empty space, removing jumped pegs, until only one peg remains. You can play the game online here: http://www.mazoons.com/peg_board.htm

Anyway, what I did was write a program to find every possible solution for every possible starting position on the board, and print them out. I more or less brute forced it, and when it was finished, the program took about 10 minutes to run (on hardware 5-or-6-year-old hardware), and printed out thousands upon thousands of possible solutions. It was a fun little exercise which taught me a few things at the time. If you're looking for challenges, I'd recommend giving it a try.
Sage
Not sure if you wanted game related chalenges, but it sounds like you want programming contest questions.

ACM archive

You should be able to find problems of all difficulty levels there. Some are going to be laughably easy like summing a list of numbers, while some you'd need a phd to solve.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.