Unique Game Concept

Nibbie
Hello Devs,

Last year I came up with an idea for a game utilising all of the fancy features of the 3G(&S) such as tilt, camera, GPS etc. These features are essential to the game play and not merely used because they're available. The idea was proposed to Chillingo who were interested at the time but have since been bogged down with other things.

I would like to arrange a similar deal that Chillingo had proposed; a cut of the revenue for use of the idea and overseeing of the design if required. I realise the details are rather vague, but should you be interested do get back to me.

Trust that there is still to this day no other game like this available on the App Store or any other platform. Not even close.

Cheers,
Tom
Quote this message in a reply
Meh, ideas are not worthless. Like the idea behind google's search algorithm, without it they guys at google wouldn't have made all the money they made.

Still before it is executed it is very hard to say if an idea is good or not, and even more if it will be successful or not. So it's got very little bargaining power.

Plus using some other guy's idea is like admitting you don't have any good ideas/the other guy is more creative than you which nobody likes to believe.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
These types of posts leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Najdorf Wrote:Meh, ideas are not worthless. Like the idea behind google's search algorithm, without it they guys at google wouldn't have made all the money they made.

Still before it is executed it is very hard to say if an idea is good or not, and even more if it will be successful or not. So it's got very little bargaining power.

Plus using some other guy's idea is like admitting you don't have any good ideas/the other guy is more creative than you which nobody likes to believe.

The idea wasn't what made Brin and Page rich. It was the implementation of their search idea. Hell, to be even more technical, Google doesn't make money off their search engine at all. The money is in advertising.
Najdorf Wrote:Meh, ideas are not worthless. Like the idea behind google's search algorithm, without it they guys at google wouldn't have made all the money they made.

Bad example - I have an *awesome* idea for a search engine that only returns the crap you were actually looking for. I can't create it, but I'll sell you the idea if ya like Rasp

To be fair to the OP, some ideas are better than others and might be worth something, but you need to build a prototype. Either teach yourself enough to build it yourself, or write up an NDA and pay someone else to do it. Publishers will be far more receptive to a working prototype than just an idea on its own.
Najdorf Wrote:Meh, ideas are not worthless.

Not quite, they're worth around US $0.00833 apiece, at their current going rate of a dime per dozen. I'll even round that up to a penny, since it's such a good idea.

A prototype, on the other hand, is priceless. That's what will separate you from the hundreds of thousands of other Really-Awesome-Ideas for iPhone apps out there.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
US $0.00833 sounds like a lot for an idea without an implementation. I've had dozens upon dozens of ideas for iPhone apps and I've had people tell me hundreds of ideas (yes, at least 10% involve farting). What percentage of ideas turn into a successful product? Well under 1%.

I really wonder if other fields suffer from a perceived overvaluation of ideas like software development. Hey Boeing, I have a great idea for an airplane I'd like to sell you! Not to particularly pick on the original poster here, but it sounds like the OP isn't offering money up front and isn't bringing any art, audio, development skills, or big IP to the table, so it's hard to give this a lot of consideration.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
While I agree most people's great ideas are crap a genuine great idea can be worth quite a bit.

The idea behind tetris? The implementation is trivial, yet the game sold HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of copies.

Google's ideas to use number of links to determine recursively the importance of a page? Of course you need a good implementation there but without the idea you got nothing.

So while most ideas are worthless saying all ideas are worthless is just ignorant.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Nibbie
I do realise the obvious problems with what I've proposed but found myself with little other option. At least I now have a direction amidst the banter.

I can offer little more in the way of resources than sound effects and music. The game has been sketched out in a storyboard style to show how the game is played, some of the screens required, and general GUI layout/design. Chillingo needed little more than a short paragraph describing the game mechanics/idea before proposing the aforementioned deal if that is of any merit.

Despite the wording of the initial post I am not asking for money up front, merely some sort of agreement along the lines of "I'll check your idea out and if I think it's worth creating, then we'll talk". Most of the "regular" folk I've mentioned the idea to around the workplace and at home are itching for it. Hearsay to you, I know.
we had quite a discussion about ideas at toucharcade
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=4132

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Criticize game concept Geometros 1 3,031 Sep 11, 2012 07:25 PM
Last Post: Baldock
  Free game concept: Excessive Force Jishiro 4 5,802 May 14, 2006 05:35 PM
Last Post: David Drew