Ryan Gordon gives iDG mad props

Ryan mentions iDG in his newest finger. It's down near the bottom.

Quote:In addition to more Brian Greenstones, we need more Carlos Camachos, too. iDevGames seems to me to be a great indicator of who the most important Mac game developers will be.

There's a mention of David and Lugaru as well.
Quote this message in a reply
Ryan is my hero. He thinks exactly the way I think. We need more Mac-first games, forget ports. They will come and go, but if we keep the Mac gaming scene active with original and fun games, the better it will be for all of us in the long run.

What are you doing?? Start Mac development, NOW!!

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Taxxodium Wrote:What are you doing?? Start Mac development, NOW!!

I'm going! I can only read so fast! [returns to reading about bitwise operators and hexadecimal numbers]

But yeah, we seriously need to write up a big letter to Apple urging them to start promoting gaming on Macs. Ryan's idea of a games section in iTunes is genius.
I'm working on it already! Rasp (BTW, can somebody with an Intel mac test that demo program? I asked in the thread, but the traffic in that forum seems a little low...)
ferum Wrote:Ryan's idea of a games section in iTunes is genius.
The whole essay is pretty darn well thought out and expressed, and as much as the iTunes distribution thing makes sense, it ain't ever gonna happen. Apple made somewhat of an effort a few years ago to start promoting some game development on the Mac, but their strategy from the get-go was to promote ports. They had game sprockets, which was totally awesome, but where is it now? No, Apple knows that their chances of being taken even remotely serious as a game platform is zip, zero, nada, nothing, naught, zilch. I am *highly* skeptical that Apple would ever use iTunes for something that could create great ridicule for them. It isn't worth risking their image there. Forget it... And what I'm saying here is beside the fact that Jobs has publicly stated his disdain for games on the Mac in the past -- he didn't want it to be viewed as a toy. I don't know what his real feelings are on the subject nowadays, but I suspect he could still give a rip less about games.

However, and along the same lines as the iTunes thing, while I pretty much totally agree with Gordon, I especially agree that Mac triple-A game houses need to completely drop retail distribution in favor of online distribution. It is best for everyone, all the way around.

Anyway, he has always had a pretty good reputation around here too, so props right back to him! Smile
Founder
He's a good guy. I really appreciate the mention he gave us/me. I'll need to add that to the "about us" page, next to the props from the Woz. Grin Hard to believe we started back in 98'. I'm glad we are still online, though the site is a "shell" of its former self. That said, I'm keen to getting it back up to the level it should be at. Smile With luck, maybe Apple will someday give me a job along side Richard Hernandez. Wink

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I think the biggest question is that with the web and blogs who still uses finger and why?
codemattic Wrote:I think the biggest question is that with the web and blogs who still uses finger and why?

He's a Linux dork. Runs in his blood. Smile