Help Wanted: Graphic/Pixel artists to help with Graphics for next contest

how about having a competition for who can create the best sprite set and then having a competition to see who can make the best game with the chosen sprite set. Silly idea, but It might keep everyone happy Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
akb825 Wrote:It completely bans all of your ideas if you want to do 3D. Annoyed If there were 2D sprites and 3D models (obj format would probably be the most accessible) both, I suppose I wouldn't be so opposed to it. Since I would treat a contest as a way to further advance my skills, and I have chosen 3D to be my forte, I likely wouldn't join if I was strictly limited to 2D graphics.
No way, there are lots of possibilities for 3D even when given 2D graphics. The first 3D games (Doom, Marathon, etc.) used 2D sprites. Plus I'm pretty sure that algorithms exist that can take a sprite and apply something similar to real time lighting to it. 2D sprites don't necessisarily mean you have to make a 2D game. You might have to be more creative, but making a 3D game is still entirely possible.
Marjock
Unregistered

Hmm, I don't think I'd enter.

I'd also be careful throwing phrases like, "the best game designer" around. You can't ignore the fact that art is a part of game design, these days. And regardless of what people say you *are* imposing limitations by using these graphics.

I'm a coder with no artistic talent at all, but even so I'm not sure this is for me. I'd rather come up with more imaginative ways to get around the problem, or team up with an artist.

Also, in regards to the "If you don't like it, don't enter" argument. Nobody's saying this isn't the case. But if you make a thread asking people their opinions on a contest idea you can't get annoyed when some people don't like it Rasp

-Mark

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Send them in! Open source graphics community contest. mvBarracuda 0 4,419 May 25, 2007 03:09 PM
Last Post: mvBarracuda