Help Wanted: Graphic/Pixel artists to help with Graphics for next contest

Hello Everyone,

Like the title says, Carlos needs help with the graphics for the next official iDevGames contest.

The underlying concept is -- with graphics and sound being the same, and all on
an equal playing field, who can out-program and out-design their peers?
Each entrant will pick one game from a pre-defined list and make it. There should be graphics for 5-10 games.

Unfortunately, people who assist with creating the graphics will not be able to enter the contest.
Quote this message in a reply
A contest using the same asset set for all does sound a good idea to me.

However if you want the graphics and sounds to be the same then why do you want graphics for 5 - 10 games? Also do you think you will get as many entrants as that?

What kind of graphics are you after - those that will suit a 2D, 2.5D or 3D?
Founder
I'm thinking something like SpriteLib by Ari:
[Image: big_sprite1.gif]
[Image: big_sprite3.gif]
[Image: big_sprite2.gif]

Of course, since SpriteLib is GPL, we can use those 3. But I'd like maybe 2 or 3 more tilesets so we can have at least 5 or so games to pick from. The tiles in his sets are 32x32 I think. Of course, a dev is free to mix and match as they please.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
This contest idea makes me sad. Stylistically limiting.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
diordna Wrote:This contest idea makes me sad. Stylistically limiting.

You do not have to take part in the contest if you do not like the limits. I'm sure there will be another one along soon enough that suits your tastes.
Don't forget about Xaos and Phaeum tiles sets from the old iDevGames...

http://freaksw.com/idevgames/list.php?pa...ackgrounds
Sage
Can we just proceduraly generate all our graphics and not use these tilesets?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
DoG
I'd like to point out that a GPL license for a contest where source code doesn't have to be released is not acceptable. Make sure that is cleared up beforehand.

Also, using sprites is very, very, very limiting, considering even what used to be 2D games nowadays use 3D models with a 2D gameplay. So, either also create a set of 3D models and textures to boot, or only create concept art which the developers can take either way.

And, if you do punish not using the pre-made art, remember that in such a case the art needs to be of extremely high quality or it will pull down the games that are made with it.

I'm not saying the plan is not good, but it is a very delicate issue, and all the rough edges need to be taken care of.
Luminary
The entire idea seems to be that you *will* be limited by the art assets.

If not, I don't see the point in having them.
DoG
OneSadCookie Wrote:The entire idea seems to be that you *will* be limited by the art assets.

If not, I don't see the point in having them.
But wouldn't you agree that forcing you to use sprites is a bit too limiting? It's not about the assets then, but you having to do a 2D game, essentially. If that is intended, fine, just be clear about it.
Sage
Im not going to write a game with graphics like this:
[Image: big_sprite1.gif]

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
There's nothing to stop you using those graphics for the competition release and then replacing later for a final version. If you hate the graphics that much then put in a disclaimer, or just don't enter the competition.
DoG Wrote:But wouldn't you agree that forcing you to use sprites is a bit too limiting? It's not about the assets then, but you having to do a 2D game, essentially. If that is intended, fine, just be clear about it.
Move around the sprites in 3D if you want.

This contest really wouldn't be limiting at all. You've already given up on thinking of an idea for it... not that you'd enter anyways.

When backed against a wall with restrictions, wonderfully creative ideas flow if you give them a chance.

-Jon

edit: err... nevermind. It seems you're supposed to pick from a set of game designs and adhere to them. This contest sounds like slave contract work. Smile
Yeah, sure it's limiting, but that's part of many (if not almost all) contests. I like the idea (if not the game designs you have to choose from is too limiting), I'll probably enter if I don't get swamped at work.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
I might be interested in submitting graphics and sounds for this. If you can give me some guidelines/requirements, I'll see what I can do. I don't think I'd want to participate in the coding portion of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Send them in! Open source graphics community contest. mvBarracuda 0 4,399 May 25, 2007 03:09 PM
Last Post: mvBarracuda