Translate mouse coordinates to world coordinates

Apprentice
After searching for a long time I still cannot find a way to convert from the view's mouse coordinates to the opengl world coordinates. Here's what I have:

A windowed opengl view that's about 400 x 300
I draw a bunch of quads all at the same z location but different x & y locations
I want to be able to tell which quad I clicked on, I know each quads location and dimension in world coordinates, e.g. quad 1 is at -2, -2 and is 0.8 by 0.8 big.
I do glTranslatef(0.0, 0.0, -5.0f); to back off the camera from where I've drawn.

In mouseDown, get the window coordinates from the event locationInWindow
Then I grab the viewport, modelview matrix and projection matrix and call gluUnProject

The values I get back from that don't seem to make any sense. I'm guessing it's because I'm sending in 0.0 to gluUnProject for the local z coordinate which is the near plane, so I'm getting back the coordinates at the near plane.

So, am I supposed to figure out what z position to put in since I know the projection near & far planes and what z position my objects are at?

Or am I supposed to cast a ray at see what it intersects with?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
Have you looked at glOrtho?
Luminary
If you need the perspective view, call gluUnProject twice, passing 0.0 for z the first time and 1.0 for z the second. That gives you two points on the line in 3D space that would be transformed to the pixel that was clicked. You can then programmatically intersect that line with your geometry to find out what was hit.
Apprentice
I was misunderstanding the use of gluUnProject. I found this page:
http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq/tech...ection.htm

which details just what OSC said. Thanks for the info.
glMatt
Unregistered

My own solution for mouse coordinate conversion:
Code:
// 768x512 window not resizeable to make this simple

NSPoint point;

- (void)mouseDown:(NSEvent *)event
{
   point = [event locationInWindow];
}

- (NSPoint)convertMousePoint:(NSPoint)mouse
{
   NSPoint m;
   m.x = mouse.x * (2.0 / 768.0) - 1.0;
   m.y = mouse.y * (2.0 / 512.0) - 1.0;
   return (m);  // returns the converted point
}

NSPoint mouseGLCoords;
mouseGLCoords = [self convertMousePoint:point];

This does work for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Translate Like chaiwise 12passion 0 1,661 Dec 11, 2012 12:27 AM
Last Post: 12passion
  Updating Map Annotations - coordinates PHANTOMIAS 0 2,531 Dec 8, 2009 08:39 AM
Last Post: PHANTOMIAS
  Local (X, Y) Coordinates from 3D plane coordinates merrill541 5 7,064 Jun 29, 2009 01:32 AM
Last Post: RhinosoRoss
  calculating X and Y coordinates w/ an angle and distance ferum 13 15,158 Jun 25, 2008 10:53 PM
Last Post: rosenth
  Find 3D Direction with 2D Coordinates suan832001 1 2,684 Aug 24, 2007 07:03 AM
Last Post: backslash