"Robot" coding game.

Nibbie
Id rather do a contest where the goal was to make the most human-like AI, as opposed to the most capable. IT would be judged by what percentage of people thought your bot was a human player in game, and what percentage thought it was a bot.
Quote this message in a reply
There is already a well-known [Carlos needs to change the forum color so you can see this link->]contest for that.

Human ai is really hard to do. I've tried it using some genetic algorithms and artificial neural networks. That kind of contest is too tough for this crowd I suspect. But hey, that's just me. Maybe it'd work. I wouldn't enter that one though, because I've already tried and failed in my own endeavor (what would be the point of *proving* I can't do it?).

I'm still with the piped sub-process idea where you can write whatever program you want to control a robot in a given environment. Maybe the contest needs two stages: One where contestants compete to create the host environment with the graphics and everything, and the other where the contestants do the ai programming in the forked sub-process launched from the winner of the previous `host' contest.
Sage
AnotherJake Wrote:Maybe the contest needs two stages: One where contestants compete to create the host environment with the graphics and everything, and the other where the contestants do the ai programming in the forked sub-process launched from the winner of the previous `host' contest.

Sounds fun, I already have a head start but It doesn't mean I would win Rasp
Is anyone else thinking of doing this?

If the robots are all based on pipe's it wouldn't be too hard to have a player controlled over a network, its a possiblity for whogbens idea.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sage
Andrew Sage Wrote:It depends on what the aim of the contest is. If it is to simulate the programming of a robot with a very simple processor and limited memory then the code limits are entirely justifiable.

The sense of achievement at getting something like this working within such constraints is much greater then doing the same with unlimited resources.

Maybe, but what's a "limited processor?" Even something "simple" like the Lego Mindstorms can run Java code. While 64k might be a tiny amount of memory, It's still enough to hold a couple thousand lines of java code and still have a couple Kb's left for data space.

The problem that I see with this is that no one will agree on how limited it should be. (doesn't that sound familiar...) A couple of years ago I might have agreed that it would be more fun to program a robot in 6502 assembly, but my tastes have changed since then. While interesting, I have no want to program at such a low level anymore.

My issue is that programming pretty much anything at such a low level is a challenge all its own that has nothing to do with AI programming. I want to try my hand at programming more AI, and I might want to try to write a minimalist implementation of an algorithm in assembly, but not at the same time.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:This is what I work on, outside of my game:
Sweet! Takes me back to 1998.
I need to get around to working on something like that.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:This is what I work on, outside of my game:
Sweet! Takes me back to 1998.
I need to get around to working on something like that.

You guys don't stand a chance against my army of Genetic Algorithm-Evolved Cybernetic Bugs From Hell ™.

Or at least you won't, once they learn to walk properly Rasp
PowerMacX Wrote:You guys don't stand a chance against my army of Genetic Algorithm-Evolved Cybernetic Bugs From Hell ™.

Or at least you won't, once they learn to walk properly Rasp
Yeah, but if you keep the physics based on the framerate, eventually your gfx card will be so powerful it won't matter how slow they crawl!

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
I realize this topic is out of date - but, as an alternate robot contest suggestion, I am a big fan of Robocode (http://www.robowiki.net). It's Java, and there's an active community for it, so any robot coding contest could potentially use Robocode.

Probably a useless reply, since this discussion died, but I thought I'd mention it.
Robocode is indeed totally awesome. Smile We wrote a knock-off of it for one of my university CS courses that loaded custom assembly language.

Newest game: Glow, a sci-fi RPG with lots of zombie bashing. Get it: OS X
If you can find a cool, simple game to have robots play (possibly something original) I'd love to have an AI tournament.

I say everyone must produce a function that given the "state variables" outputs an action for the robot or soething. I say C as a language would make everyone happy.

EDIT: I never played robocode but guess it could be fun! though i guess many people have already kickass AI ready for it...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
My AI is two steps below "short bus"; it just finds a corner and spins around in it, firing madly until someone gets in the way.

Newest game: Glow, a sci-fi RPG with lots of zombie bashing. Get it: OS X
Hmm, i don't like c like languages Rasp

I wanted people to make a robot coding game in a contest last year (in RunRev), but the community is ridiculous small, so nothing ever came of it.
Then i tried to make my own, but like all projects i do, that died quickly.
I am more interested in how to make a robot coding game, then to code the robots, but maybe a code limit would allow me to finish something for a change...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Contest Coding sealfin 1 1,752 Jun 8, 2013 09:46 AM
Last Post: sealfin