Is blender great for making games?

I vote for an IOTW on the front page Grin
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Thanks. :*-)
Apprentice
So no one has noticed that the devs have improved it a lot in 2.41-release?

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_2_41.731.0.html
Oldtimer
Whoa! I looked at 2.40 and thought it was a nice update, 2.41 seems to have been another major leap - especially for the game engine! Thanks for the heads-up Aki!
Nayr Wrote:Are you kidding? that's like sculpting stone with a toothpick LOL

I swear I felt the same way til I finally went though the manual. Now I find I'm ridiculously fast at modeling in it. Moreso than anything I've tried before.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
electriclightorchestra
Unregistered

oh whats your problem? Looked daunting at first, sure, but after noob 2 pro it made other programs confusing! Really, I kept try to zoom in to stuff with the scroll wheel and wondering why it wasn't working Grin Blender interface is the way all programs SHOULD BE. Don't call it hell because its different.
electriclightorchestra Wrote:Blender interface is the way all programs SHOULD BE.

Yes, it's best example for good GUI design. Definitly something to consider...

In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. Blender's UI is by far the worst I've seen for a 3D modeller, and I thought 3D Studio Max's UI was bad, my god!
Which UI is the best? My favourite is Cinema 4D

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Marjock
Unregistered

This is going to sound crazy, but I just have a feeling that the modeller people find most sensible is the one they first started out with. Rasp

For me, that means Maya. Damn the Maya PLE, getting me all addicted when I can't afford the full thing. Sad

-Mark
There's some truth to that. I learned Infini-D years ago and then tried lots of things I didn't like before taking the plunge and learning Maya. I found it wierd at first, but now it's second nature. I actually tried to use Infini-D once after using Maya for about 6 months and I found it really confusing suddenly.
Maya definately has the advantage that if you don't like something you can always change it.
I tried Blender once, hated the interface and retreated back to using Maya PLE.
I'll probably use blender for low rez models for prototyping until I have enough $ for a comercial version of Maya.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Blender -> Export .Obj -> .mtl's Missing Texture hangt5 12 9,963 Jul 5, 2005 12:20 PM
Last Post: hangt5