Is blender great for making games?

jdmmade
Unregistered

I just downloaded blender and 2 books that teach you how to develop games for blender and another one teaches techniques and how to use it. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of blender?
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Pros: everything.
Cons: takes three hours to learn the interface.

/Mr. Biased
I don't know about games, though I've heard that it can do a heck of a lot for a free app, but it's one hell of a a modeler.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
I've seen a few slick demo's of Blender games, back before blender was on mac I saw some wicked cool Unreal Tournament maps made with it too.

Put it this way, I and many other people donated cash to open source that app, so you personally have nothing to lose by using it for FREE. Run with it.
IMHO, Blender does a lot of stuff, but doesn't do any of it particularly well.

That said, if you're on a budget (like no budget Rasp,) it can't be beat.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:IMHO, Blender does a lot of stuff, but doesn't do any of it particularly well.
Well, I think the subsurf modelling tools are pretty darn good, better than a lot a payware at least, but you do have a point. The devs have a habit of adding features for the sake of adding features, and often before they're usable.

The Blender game engine has always been "meh" to down right broken, especially on Mac OS X. Blender's a great tool to have around if you're creating art for games, and the game engine might be OK for prototyping, but deploying a game on that platform is probably a bad idea at this point.
Frank C. Wrote:Well, I think the subsurf modelling tools are pretty darn good, better than a lot a payware at least, but you do have a point.

They're ok, but nowhere as good as Wings.

Fenris Wrote:Pros: everything.
Cons: takes three hours to learn the interface.

Only 3 hours?! Are you in Mensa, Ivan? Rasp

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I've heard (but not actually checked out) that there's been alot of development on the game engine lately.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:They're ok, but nowhere as good as Wings.
Wings is definitely a better low-poly and cage modeller, but Blender has much better non-destructive subsurf editing tools. In Wings you basically say "smooth" a few times and live with the results. Blender's got non-destructive seams and live selection/editing of the optimized subsurf contours. This is a safer/better workflow IMHO, but I would recommend Wings for the initial cage modelling.
Not sure what you mean by non destructive seams, Frank. I can certainly flag an edge as hard or soft in Wings. Granted Blender allows fractional values for this, but once I got used to Wings, I can pump models out much faster than I can in Blender.

Anywho, this has little to do with it as a game engine, so I'll shut up now. Rasp

I'm not knocking Wings - it's great, and my first choice for modelling, but manipulating the subsurf proxy mesh is limited compared to Blender. Variable edge sharpness is actually a pretty big deal when you're modelling using a reference object/drawing, and as far as I can tell, Wings doesn't have variable proxy resolution, which means you have to subdivide the cage even in cases where you wouldn't have to in Blender - but I'll shut up too Grin
Oldtimer
Quote:Only 3 hours?! Are you in Mensa, Ivan? Rasp
That's what I'd like you to believe, yes. But no.

The Blender interface is hell to learn. But if you sit down with a packet of tutorials, keep your left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse, you'll pick it up in an evening. Of course, there are thousands of esoteric keyboard/mouse/gestures commands to learn, but in three hours, I guarantee* you'll be over the interface hump and ready to learn the actual app.

* I offer a 100% money-back guarantee on that statement. No questions asked!
Oldtimer
Quote:The Blender interface is hell to learn.
I'd like to expand on that statement. A picture is worth a thousand words.

[Image: hortus_delica_blender.jpg]
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:They're ok, but nowhere as good as Wings.

Are you kidding? that's like sculpting stone with a toothpick LOL

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Fenris Wrote:I'd like to expand on that statement. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Funniest post of the year!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Blender -> Export .Obj -> .mtl's Missing Texture hangt5 12 9,483 Jul 5, 2005 12:20 PM
Last Post: hangt5