Bitmap Fonts in GL

Luminary
If you want cartoon-like, shadowed, gradient-filled+border, etc, GlyphTool, FTGL and GLF are not going to help you either...

Though yes, under those circumstances, their approach is more appropriate. You'd better hope you never want to ship in Arabic though Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
OneSadCookie Wrote:If you want cartoon-like, shadowed, gradient-filled+border, etc, GlyphTool, FTGL and GLF are not going to help you either...

On the contrary, the whole reason I wrote this tool is to get text like that in game,
What I did to get fonts like that was generate my texture with all the ASCII characters using GlyphTool then edit it in photoshop to give it a drop shadow, texture fill and bevel and emboss, then using an alpha channel and correct blending modes got some snazzy text effects in OpenGL.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sage
Is text rendering speed really an issue in any program?

I wrote a simple bitmap font drawing class in Ruby. Even that could draw a screen full of 9pt text and barely break a sweat.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Skorche Wrote:Is text rendering speed really an issue in any program?
Water Tower 3D took a significant performance hit on lower-end CPUs when I was redrawing onscreen text every frame (using FreeType). In this case, it was only five or six text fields with ten characters or so in each one. It's fine now that I only redraw text when it changes, but it was definitely an issue when I didn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do I flip upside down fonts in FTGL mr5z 4 1,046 Mar 3, 2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Bitmap fonts markhula 6 7,992 Feb 27, 2011 12:55 PM
Last Post: markhula
  Anyone experienced Performance ± with UILabels vs. Bitmap Font in OpenGL ES 1.1? Elphaba 3 4,343 Jul 28, 2009 10:40 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Bitmap font toolkit Najdorf 9 6,788 Nov 11, 2008 05:43 PM
Last Post: Najdorf
  Anti-aliased bitmapped fonts Jake 12 6,750 Nov 19, 2007 05:02 PM
Last Post: Jake