Helpful Tools and Tutorials for Mac Game Development

LinkN64
Unregistered

I'm really new here and I was wondering where I could find tutorials or something that would help me with making 3D characters? Plus,I need some help with actually starting to make a game. Really n00bish,but I don't know anything except how to make a level.....

P.S. Is it possible to make these games into MMORPGs?
Quote this message in a reply
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, so I'm probably just days
ahead of you in experience.

Try Wings3D. Google it and download it. This is just the second
day I've been using it. Seems like a nice little program.

It's a free program. They have some character tutorials later on
in there documentation. I'm still just on simple geometries.
Well, do you know any programing languages? What program are you using to make levels?
Also, MMORPGs are about the hardest game to make, so it would probably be better to set your sights on something alittle lower in the beginning.
LinkN64
Unregistered

I don't know what a programming language is,I'm using dim3 editor to make levels,and thank you for the tip.
Link, first off welcome to the forums. Im sure you will find it a valuable source of infomation if you decided to stick to game programming.

1) If you are new to 3d Modeling check out blender and wings 3d, im not an artist but I have heard great things about them from people just starting to learn.

2) A quick goggle search brought up http://vrml.alleyweb.co.uk/index_1024x768.html it seems to have links to a great number of 3d modeling guides.

3) When you say you know how to make levels, I think you are refering to Dim3s editor, I have no experince from Dim3 so I cant really speak on behalf of it. I do however beleive that to use Dim3 maps you will have to make the entire game in Dim3 or write your own loader to take advantage of the Dim3 levels.

4) MMORPGs take years, millions of dollars and hundreds of people to make. Its been said a thousand times and I will say it again. START SMALL, my first game was a remake of pong. If you try and do something huge right away you will never finish it and you will hate programming. Make really simple things, play around with code demos and tweak them.

5) If you decide to use Dim3 for your game making, post your questions there and read the forums about it, you can see if its the right thing for you. If not you will need to learn C or C++ or something of the likes and most likely OpenGL for your graphics.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them for you, and once again welcome to our community.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
LinkN64
Unregistered

Thank you so much for the tips,I'll look into them.
kodex Wrote:...
1) If you are new to 3d Modeling check out blender and wings 3d, im not an artist but I have heard great things about them from people just starting to learn.

And those of us with limited disposable income. Wink

Jericho
LinkN64
Unregistered

How do I download Wings3D? I swear I've download every one of those files and none of the turn out to be anything.
Go to: http://wings3d.com/

On the left side you'll see a box called Latest Stable with below that links to many ports. Click on Mac if you have a Mac, or Win if you use Windows, etc..
Now in the next page pick a mirror and click on Download.

That's it!

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
LinkN64
Unregistered

Thanks so much! Heh heh.....sorry if I was a burden.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  game development using directx/cryengine codetoeternity 2 1,910 Oct 10, 2013 06:34 AM
Last Post: codetoeternity
  News: Game development MMO in the works diablosandwicheater 0 2,648 Mar 13, 2012 10:33 AM
Last Post: diablosandwicheater
  Game Development Environments SethWillits 14 9,454 Feb 20, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: Toontingy
  Options for Web Game Development in OS X Nick 4 4,032 Sep 20, 2008 01:13 PM
Last Post: Nick
  Easy game dev tools for a young child Carlos Camacho 5 3,879 Jul 21, 2007 11:44 PM
Last Post: OldMonkey