Is there a free/cheap game making program for OS X?

gamingjustin
Unregistered

Back in the days when I still used a PC there was a nice program called Game Maker (maybe some of you have tried it before). It was mostly visual (drag and drop buttons to create actions) but also had its own language, GML, to code more advanced actions. It was really great and (if one can draw) commercial-quality games could be made in a matter of months.

I've been searching for something like this for Mac OS X. Sadly, I can't find a thing. The game I would make would be 2D, very simple-- think simplified Super Metroid. If anyone knows of a program that could make 2D games and offers a lot of freedom just let me know.

Thanks in advance. Smile
Yes! I do!

Try Playkode.

In the work in progress section of this site there will be three threads of it, this one is the one to download and here is the introductory thread.
Ofcourse, this is shareware and in development so you may also want to check out BlitzMax or TNT Basic. You will also find an old program called Game Maker for the mac, but it most definately isn't the same thing and you should try something else if you find it.
Apprentice
Try Power Game Factory. It'll suit you like a glove Wink
Knowing what kind of game you want to make would help a little more. As I understand it, Power Game Factory is mostly good at making games like Rush'n Attack or Ikari Warriors.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
umm... i thought game maker had a mac version, although this might be a completly different program... i saw another one on google that was PC only, named game maker also.
http://members.aol.com/AlStaff/GameMakerHelp.html

Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
Dark Helmet Wrote:umm... i thought game maker had a mac version, although this might be a completly different program... i saw another one on google that was PC only, named game maker also.
> >
socksy Wrote:You will also find an old program called Game Maker for the mac, but it most definately isn't the same thing and you should try something else if you find it.
Scalepet
Unregistered

Try dim3, it's free and fairly easy to use, if you know javascript, you can work with it.

You do all the animation and mapping in graphical editors, so you can focus on content creation. Check it out:

http://www.klinksoftware.com
Apprentice
if you still seek that program then:
there's a mac Game Maker (made by Al Staffieri) but it's not free, it is nice, but buggy, and i think it isn't macosx native
if you need a free, but still powerful and easy to use game making engine, try SilverCreator - www.silvernetwork.net there are also boards about SilverCreator here, so you can get support. It's made in RealBasic and it's based on gamemaker, you will probably find there a lot of thigs you know. But i warn you - the SC code is a bit harder (homever it's more powerful) - you can do a lot more things in SC which you wouldn't be able to do in GM

of course if you want to start real programming then follow the directions of others. Anyways, the most important is for you to have fun.
The mac GameMaker is a completely different animal. Its card based a'la Hypercard. Whereas the PC one is more like PowerGameFactory, which you might want to check out.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
*sarcasm*yeah, and it's only 44$*/sarcasm* come on, this guy asked for a cheap/free program!
Kilofer Wrote:*sarcasm*yeah, and it's only 44$*/sarcasm* come on, this guy asked for a cheap/free program!

$44 is cheap. Compared to $100 for Torque2D, $250 for Unity, etc. etc.

I don't know what kind of allowances you kids get nowadays, but that's cheap by most standards.

Apprentice
i know it's cheap as far as professional programming is concerned, but please realise that this guy probably just recently switched to mac, he has used PC gamemaker and he wants a cheap (5-15$) or free GAME MAKING device, not a PROFFESIONAL TOOL
anyways, he should check what we said and answer, cause we posted several times and he just started the topic (and probably ran away frightened by what you offered him)
for what he posted, and ideal tool for him would be SilverCreator i think, and then he could switch to Metal or TNT or something
now, gamingjustin, if you are reading these posts please respond what do you think about it
Apprentice
Kilofer Wrote:i know it's cheap as far as professional programming is concerned, but please realise that this guy probably just recently switched to mac, he has used PC gamemaker and he wants a cheap (5-15$) or free GAME MAKING device, not a PROFFESIONAL TOOL
anyways, he should check what we said and answer, cause we posted several times and he just started the topic (and probably ran away frightened by what you offered him)
for what he posted, and ideal tool for him would be SilverCreator i think, and then he could switch to Metal or TNT or something
now, gamingjustin, if you are reading these posts please respond what do you think about it

Power Game Factory is a professional tool? If you ask me "cheap game making" fits Power Game Factory like a glove.

Professional would be taking a game engine and coding against it in XCode.
SonOfALink Wrote:Power Game Factory is a professional tool? If you ask me "cheap game making" fits Power Game Factory like a glove.

Professional would be taking a game engine and coding against it in XCode.

Um...wow. I would consider Power Game Factory a professional tool...and it certainly is a game engine.

Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Almost 1000 free game icons Delapouite 5 4,520 Oct 7, 2014 05:13 AM
Last Post: geet_gamer
  Project Messiah 3D modeler gong incredibly cheap backslash 1 6,577 Feb 18, 2011 05:55 AM
Last Post: toonbit
  Free NICE game-ready models around the world denixxx 1 6,168 Sep 25, 2010 02:23 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Free/cheap 3d models of chess pieces? MattDiamond 12 19,836 Dec 8, 2005 04:20 PM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  Software for making arcade game noises NCarter 18 9,104 Sep 25, 2003 04:42 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho