Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X

Hm, this is definitely being more stubborn than I expected. I fix one part, and there's always something else there. I don't suppose there is anybody else out there willing to take a look at what I've done so far?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Ill try and see if I can work out whats happening whats going wrong and so on.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sure, here's the source.

The xcode project file was done in 10.4, so here's the info you need to create one on your own. It's a carbon application. I have a copy build phase for OpenAL, but IIRC you already have OpenAL installed so it won't matter, as long as you include it. You will also need to include the OpenGL framework. The datafiles are already in the Debug build directory for easy use, but I think Panther uses a different name, so you may need to move them.

Now on to where I'm having problems. It seems to be dying around where the map is being loaded and it's trying to load the textures. My guesses are either it isn't loading the map correctly, and therefore doesn't correctly know where to find the pages for the textures, or it isn't loading the page file correctly, so it doesn't have the locations of the textures correctly known. Regardless, it's most likely a byte order problem. I'm using the same endian C files that I gave you before, so that at least should be familiar. Hopefully I just need another pair of eyes looking at it to find the problem. Thanks for helping. If you have any questions, feel free to post and/or AIM me. (screenname same as username)
sixtyfive
Unregistered

I think you also need the latest release of Xcode.
Sage
With a few modifications it builds and runs on 10.3.9, except when you start new game it still gets 99% loaded and quits.

sixtyfive
Unregistered

You can obtain the full data files from:
http://sixtyfive.xmgfree.com/private/wolf.zip
Thank you. If it was just the data files, we'll find out here.

unknown: to get it to work with those datafiles, instead of defining _WOLF_SHAREWARE_ in version.h, define _WOLF_FULL_.
Whoa. Just whoa. I started it up and it shows random pictures all over the menus, and just crashes when loading the maps. *sigh* It really would help if any of this code was commented, especially given the kind of pointer magic that's going on. When it crashes, the stack trace doesn't even make sense: it's basically saying it was in a particular function (StatusDrawPic) without any calling functions! It has to be called from somewhere! I'm going to post about this in another, higher traffic forum. There is only so much I can look at the same code and not know what's wrong.
sixtyfive
Unregistered

Just in case, use the files from the demo.

Quote:Now you should get the data files from the version 1.4 of Wolfenstein, you can get the shareware files here or from your favorite shareware mirror site. It's important to make sure that you have version 1.4, the game data changed a lot from the other versions and WolfGL will crash if you don't have the right files.
Those are the files that I was using before. I'm assuming that they were in fact 1.4 since there was a particular #define to use different file names. Regardless, these are the files that came (more or less) with the source, so you'd think they would work. Unfortunately, I can't get them to work... Sad
sixtyfive
Unregistered

Dropping the project? Cry
If nobody helps out. Since exactly 0 people replied to my call for help in the game programming fundamentals forum, it doesn't look to good. I might be able to revisit it later, however, since next year I'll be taking more of the advanced algorithm classes. Perhaps after then I will understand the decompression algorithms etc. better and have a better idea where to swap the bytes.

Also, since I got the windowing and event system etc. up, and all I need to worry about is the byte order, so when the Intel Macs come out it should work fine, since they use the same byte order as PCs.

I would also like to see this through, but I've run out of ideas. Hopefully, though, later when I learn more I will have a few more ideas to try.
Sage
Im going to have another look at the files and so on, it seems very promising that the menu's come up and that there already 3D view's in game, the only problem (just now) being loading not working which means it cant be terribly far off.
I'd really like to port the origional version though, because thats the one I know and love. Smile

sixtyfive
Unregistered

I might contact Axel again..?
Wolfenstein was so fugly. I still don't see the attraction.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."