New To Game Design

Hi Everyone!

I am new to game design on the mac and I wanted to know what would be a good program/language to start off with that would be easy to learn. On the PC I have learned Borland Pascal and Delphi.

So what is good to start off with? Are premade systems like Unity and Torque good? Blitzmax? Or Start From Scratch and learn C++?

Thanks In Advance,
AGhost
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Search the forums and you'll find plenty of threads just like this one. Basically though, there isn't a right answer, it's entirely up to you. I think most people here would suggest avoiding Torque. The Unity users seem pretty happy. Blitzmax is pretty good. There are other options (eg. PyGame or Ruby) which are a little more off the beaten track but at least let you use a nice language. Ultimately you'll probably find yourself learning ObjC and Cocoa for programming on the Mac (even if you still do the majority of your programming in another language).

Unless you're using Unity, you'll be dealing with raw OpenGL. If you don't already know that, it might be good to start off learning that in an environment you're already familiar with...
Blitzmax is very easy to get up and running with, and one license covers PC, Mac, and Linux.

If you really want to use Pascal on OS X, your only option is GNU Pacal, I believe. It can be used with XCode though.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
So are there any good tutorials for OpenGL? Designed for mac?

AGhost
Yes, see here: http://onesadcookie.com/Tutorials

After that, advance to NeHe; there's mac versions at the bottom of each page to download.