RPG concepts (coders needed!)

I really want to make an rpg. The thing is, i can't code. Read my thread in theClassifieds section.

Here are some concepts. input is greatly needed and they are not all completed. i might add more as time goes on.

One idea:
Player Classes
Rogue (another name?)
Fighter/Warrior/Soldier (other names?)
Magic
•Wizard (another name?)
•Cleric (another name?)
•Druid (another name?)
•Dark Art (another name?)
more class suggestions welcome.

My other idea:
The player would start out as a peseant (or something comparable) and learn different skills/abilities to become whatever you want, without the need for classes.

Skils/Abilities
Swordsmanship
Ranged Fighting (another name?)
Mace Fighting (another name?)
Taming (another name?)
Magic/Spells
Wrestling (No weapons) (another name?)
Stealth (questionable skill) (another name?)
Woodworking
Mining (another name?)
Lumberjacking (another name?)
Tailoring (another name?)
Other Skills/abilities welcome!

Creatures/Enemies
Chicken
Sheep
Goat
Cow
Pig
Rabbit
Squirell
Small Bird (different name?)
Mid-Sized Bird (different name?)
Large Bird (different name?)
Dog
Wolf
Giant Ant
More suggestions NEEDED!!!

Plot (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)(I can write better than this and I will re-write it as soon as i finish this sort of rough draft)
As a normal villager, you realize that you want to start becoming someone special: a hero. You want to learn things tht normal villagers do not learn. Luckily, you soon meet a traveler who says he will teach you the ways of magic, and knows of other people in his village who will teach you other skills. You follow him to his village after he accompanies you over night at your house. When you get to the traveler's village, you learn his name is Draumbor. He introduces you to the people he mentioned earlier to you. They are: Düril the warrior, Fraout the Cleric, Hiden the Druid. He was Draumbor the Wizard. You notice a strange looking man wearing a black robe wandering around with a dagger, and you ask Draumbor who he is. "You don't want to meet him. He is not a kind man. He knows the ways of rogues." (you then pick what you want to learn and then go on from there.)

Is this plot any good so far. SO FAR IT IS UNFINISHED!!!

Any one who wants to help code this or has a suggestion can ask here, or email me at:
gott_melck@hotmail.com

I need suggestions pretty badly, as I barely have any creatures thought of, and barely any skills/abilities.
Quote this message in a reply
CubicCircle
Unregistered

I can think of a bunch of stuff... but it's useless without coders to realize it.
Sage
Maybe try looking for some RPG making tools, it isnt hard really and if you start small you can build up your skills. You will soon be programming if you put some effort in.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Or if you build a good and enough interesting concept(with for example RPG makers), then you'd probably get some coders to help you out in making the real game.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
If I were you, I'd worry less about classes and more about a really good plot. Show a coder your plot, and then maybe there will be some actual incentive.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sage
Yes, I dont mean to be harsh but Creatures/Enemies list is less than imaginative.

unknown: i said that things would change and that is a very small list of what i would put in it.

what do you mean by rpg maker tools? just search for "rpg maker for mac"?

perhaps could learn to code myself. what is a good language for an rpg? I am going to the library today and would like to kow tis ASAP.
Sage
C is a good language for an RPG

thanks. ill get a book or two on it.

also, does anyone know of a good online source for learning C?
I added a plot for those who havent noticed. (it's not finished yet, but i can't think of anything else. i think i want this rpg to start from here, and then you can pretty much do whatever you want afterwards.)
Hmm, this sounds rather genric (the classes, plot and setting), which might be ok if you were coding your own rpg - which your not. You should have some kind of gimmick / special feature / story setup, that grabs the players interest, and then keep their interest with other features like a good story, a interesting world, believable characters, ... .

Something which (I think) might be interesting (but not necessarily easy) to do, if you want to do a rpg focusing on leveling and character growth, is to do a game focusing on "life simulation" i.e. the events in the game and the endings will be influenced (in some noticeable degree) by the players actions and choices from the start until the end of the game. In-game actions could determine the characters life after the end of the game (the ending), e.g. does the character become rich, noble, does he/she remain a farmer, become a hunted criminal, does he/she marry the prince / princess / other love interest, ... .
your idea is basically what i am saying with the plot. you just start off with someone teching you basic skills, and then you decide what happens beyond that. your status (criminal, rich, poor, hero, etc.) would be determined by, how much gold, level, number of battles won/people saved, if youve stolen or damaged anything, etc. The people you meet and talk to, would treat you differently based on what your status is.

i guess my post was a little vague in that aspect.

i think this idea would also be easier to code than what you suggested.
The truth is, you have no plot. No gameplay concepts, uninspired monsters etc. no coding experience (whatsoever?). If you could maybe name a game that is similar to the one you have envisioned?... you say you want graphics and animation.

Do you have characters designed? monsters? environments?

You won't get anyone to build your game until you can convince them that it's really worth building. Story telling and world creation are important aspects, keep sharpening your skills, and come back with a little more.

Online Introduction to C
well, i did mention that Oberin was similar in my other post and forgot to put it here. i also kinda want this game to be an "open RPG" where you can pretty do just about anything, and there will be lots of quests you can get and so forth. a plot isn't really required for this type of game.

oberin's website is http://www.Oberin.com

and i am learning C right now. check out my thread in game programming. i made a calculator type thing, but it's not done yet.
wow, a mac only mmorpg...
The list of mac-only games is pretty thin usually, didn't expect something like this to be available. You want your game to be open-ended. (ala morrowind?) Have you put any thought into how it would be played. (diablo style) (final-fantasy style) (mario style) <-- I've never seen a game that combines the depth and customization of an rpg, with the interactivity and fun of, say, a mario game...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Global-scale Strategy Game Concepts DoG 2 3,581 Nov 12, 2005 07:53 AM
Last Post: Dark Helmet
  RTS Concepts I've never seen LordViking 12 4,992 Jan 21, 2004 10:06 AM
Last Post: DaFalcon