do you feel you're improving your coding?

One of the things that amaze me about coding is that I feel constantly improving. In no other thing I do I feel such a consistent progress. I always notice that the code that I wrote 3 or more months ago sucks to my "current" standards.

Doing math, studying things (I'm an economics phd student), solving problems I very rarely feel I'm improving substantially. But learning to keep things organized and neat when coding is something that really comes with time and no matter if you think that your current style is the "good" one, you will always be able to find a better one. If they asked me what I do best I would probably say coding, even though I never studied computer science and I'm really an amateur.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Ive never studied computing apart from at school, I feel like ive grown drasticly from when I last was coding because I came up against so many brick walls that now just seem like small hurdles. Ive not been coding as well I could though, my styles been sort of mish mash with a lot of trial and error for my graphics routines for the last two games ive made, but I feel like I should be doing everything more mathematically but then if it works it works?
So id say my coding has greatly improved my style is not as crisp as I want.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Over many years I have improved, yes. I have improved my style especially due to effective peer reviews this summer, and my reasoning/thinking simply from tackling many different projects.

You should see similar improvement with things like math, though, since that's a fairly straightforward learning process. You don't know how to integrate, take a couple semesters of calculus and you do.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I'm not sure how much my style has improved, since I usually try to do things as efficiently as possible. However, I do try to make things readable when making them efficient. Rasp Of course, I've only been coding for about a year now, so most of my improvement is by continued learning.

As far as ability, to get to the point where I have I obviously had to improve quite a bit. I always aim too high, but strive to get things done, and always work through a problem no matter how impossible it may seem. For example, I began teaching myself OpenGL and C about 6 months ago, and C++ about 4 months ago, and I'm working on my first game, which will be a 3D space-plane shooter. (think Star Fox's All-Range Mode) Within a week, I'll probably be posting some screens about it and start posting about progress. This is, however, a "break" from a much larger project I'm working on, since I wanted to work on something with quicker results for a little while.
Quote: You don't know how to integrate, take a couple semesters of calculus and you do.

then integrate e^(-x^2)... Ninja

Najdorf Wrote:then integrate e^(-x^2)... Ninja
If anybody could find out how to integrate that, it would be worthy of a Nobel prize and possibly introduce a new way to do previously impossible problems...
I know I for one keep improving, even after over 7 years of coding. I keep learning new techniques and entering new fields of programming (like multimedia databases to 3D first-person-shooters).

I don't think I'll ever stop improving. There always seems to be something new to learn and more efficient techniques for existing functions.
Sage
Why cant you integrate e^(-x^2)

http://integrals.wolfram.com/ gets an answer.

Well lets say that is have been proved that there is no closed form solution to that integral in the cartesian coordinate system.

the solution the website gives is more a tautology. you see that erf? It's the error function, i.e the cumulate distribution function of a Normal(0,1). in fact the normal(0,1) density is 1/sqrt(2*pi)* e^(-x^2), so its integral (the error function) is

errorFuntion (x)=1/sqrt(2*pi)* integralOf(e^(-x^2))

so

integralOf(e^(-x^2))=sqrt(2*pi)*errorFuntion (x)

which is what that website gives when you notice that log(e)=1

Sage
So its just describing an approximation to the integral?

that integral, though without a closed form solution, is very famous, so it has a name, the "error function" (well really the error function is just a linear transformation of that integral), so they're more like telling you it's name.

Apprentice
I rather just integrate e to the x
Sage
That requires the pain of adding,
Id rather derivatate e^x, you dont have to do anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Coding font Najdorf 22 8,254 Oct 23, 2007 11:53 AM
Last Post: JustinFic