Quake 3 source released - XCode project included

unknown Wrote:The guy who built it is called zaphod, there is a config file called zaphod.cfg in the pak0.pk3 files!!
Ive had more success with a unix version of the mod sdk that was release ages ago than this for building custom qagames and cgames and stuff, does anyone know why they are in .bundles?

yes it never occurred to me why they put their cfg files into the pk3 files, until quakecon, were the id members would just do "exec myname.cfg" or whatever the command was (i haven't played quake in ages). har har.
Quote this message in a reply
UnifiedMac
Unregistered

I've build the source in deployment and I've got a PC version of Q3, but is it possible to play the game from this?
If I select the installation directory, the id logo is shown, the screen fades and then all I have is a white screen. Then nothing else seems to happen after this.
Luminary
Make sure you have all the .pk3 files for 1.32, but yeah, it should work.
⌘-R in Chief
Yes, you can run the game from the code and the data files (from anywhere you get them). How you package it up and run it on a PC is possibly different than on a Mac. If the other messages here don't help, I'd suggest running the code in the debugger, stopping on the first line of code and walking through until you figure out where you're supposed to have put stuff.
Nibbie
UnifiedMac Wrote:I've build the source in deployment and I've got a PC version of Q3, but is it possible to play the game from this?
If I select the installation directory, the id logo is shown, the screen fades and then all I have is a white screen. Then nothing else seems to happen after this.

In excruciating detail, just in case:

Compile to taste. Place in a convenient directory. Create a 'baseq3' directory in the same directory. Copy the PC version's pak0.pk3 file to the baseq3 directory. Download the 1.32 point release. Copy/move/unarchive the pak files from the point release into the baseq3 directory. Happy fragging.

The 'missionpack' folder is for Q3: Team Arena, and does NOT go into the baseq3 directory, but into the same directory as the game application (you'll need the Q3:TA pak0 in with the rest to play that- though you can convince your Quake3 to run/use the demo available online with a tiny bit of editing to the source (no, I'm not going to go into that much excuciating detail).

- Doug
joe07734
Unregistered

I just went through the ordeal of downloading the Quake 3 sources and getting it all building and running on OS X 10.4 with Xcode 2.1, including being able to modify and test the qagame server code as a bundle (you don't even need to quit the app, just restart the arena for the changes to take effect). It was difficult pulling all of the relevant bits of wisdom together from all over the net, so I wrote up a wiki page how-to. I hope others find it useful.

http://wiki.bennington.edu/wiki/bin/view...nce/Quake3

/joe