Quake 3 source released - XCode project included

MarkJ
Unregistered

id GPL'd the source to Quake 3 Arena the other day, and it comes with a project builder project! I'm compiling it right now. The code seems to be a gigantic mess of C, but not altogether terribly undocumented.

Here's a link: ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/mirrors/idsoft...source.zip
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
heres another
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7547
http://0day.icculus.org/mirrors/quake3/q...source.zip

It builds!
havent got it running yet though...
It changes resolution and give me a white screen with the cursor,
the error seems to be
ERROR: User Interface is version 3, expected 6

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Cool, I'll have to get this tommorrow

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Built first try (what a surprise!),

Ran first try (an even bigger surprise)!

Some weird things were going on though, like the main menu logo missing and models only showing half their body.
Sage
Jake, What install directory did you give it?
I gave it a copy of the stuff from the cd.

Just a warning to people who don't realize: this is the game SOURCE only, you still need the data files from a real Q3 retail copy...

And I was pretty impressed when it built and ran first time too Smile

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
I am pretty annoyed that its not working, im using Quake III Arena, what are you using steven?

Well, see, I don't own Quake 3 and didn't think about checking to see if it came with game data files until after I built and executed it... Wink

Hence the warning...

I'll bet it's in the bargain bin by now, maybe I'll pick it up on my next trip out to Fry's...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
God dammit, It builds and I get a white screen, If I change the code a bit I can watch the id intro then the game intro with sarge and then see a black screen and if I move the mouse about I can hear the menu sounds.
At least I can build custom games and cgames again to make mods and use omnigroups port, I lost the mod sdk a while ago.

Jake or anyone who manages to get past the intro movie, what version of quake 3 do you have installed? any patches?

unknown Wrote:Jake, What install directory did you give it?
I gave it a copy of the stuff from the cd.

I just dragged the new .app into my old quake 3 folder. Make sure your quake is version 1.32 , because it probably looks for new .pk3 files.
Sage
Hooray!
Once I downloaded Omnigroups port It installed all the updated pk3 files, they updated the UI version and stuff.
That is a shocking bug, they must have noticed that everyone is halved and there was no q3 logo and stuff, I hope there's a fix soon. Does only occur with the G4 version for me though.
Also it doesnt take numpad input in the console and I did devmap q3dm17 and it wasnt drawing any guns or projectiles, this sucks.

Well I found it again,
http://www.netwolf.free.fr/mac-qvmtools/
Anyone know how to make qvm files with the newly released quake3 source?

Luminary
Working fine off the bat for me here, other than constant Com_sprintf overflow errors being printed to the Q3 console -- Quake 3 G4 Application, Deployment.
So is the code any good? Any secrets to be gleaned? What does this bode for other OSS engines (Chrystal Space, et al)? How soon until we see a complete OSS Quake Mod?
>So is the code any good?

It's probably the largest and most successful codebase done in C that we'll ever see, so I suppose it is. I personally think it's more readable than Q2 is, if that's what you mean. Still, it's pretty massive. I've been staring at it for the last day and it's hard to get ones bearing.

>Any secrets to be gleaned?

Probably. I was looking at some of the CD checking stuff and learned a few things.

>What does this bode for other OSS engines (Chrystal Space, et al)?

It bodes well, if anything, I think. Being as how Q3Radiant is included, I'm sure we'll see most other engines adopting the file format for the levels it spits out. I've heard that it's widely considered the best level editing tool in the industry. I haven't seen it myself.

>How soon until we see a complete OSS Quake Mod?

Since this is the whole enchilada, I don't know if you can consider them Mods anymore. Since all the content creation tools are available for Q3, I would take a wild guess that it won't be long before we see some cool stuff come out of it. Plus, even though Q3 is pretty old now, it still seems to have enough features and capabilities that it's much more appealing than Q2 was when it was open-sourced.

I don't think there is a Q3Radiant build available for the Mac yet. Maybe someone knows better? Seems like that might be the first big thing to accomplish on the Mac side of things.
nabobnick
Unregistered

Big suprise for me was keyboard handling. Instead of overriding NSApplication they use a normal NSApplication but intercept the events in a custom loop after applicationDidFinishLaunching. Plus for some reason they are using the lower level system events to track the mouse buttons (maybe because you can detect more than 3 buttons on your mouse?). That's all I've looked at so far.