Game Engine

Actually, you can do a 2D game engine entirely on SimpleText, just use html+javascript. You won't need anything more than a text editor and a web browser. Smile

Here are some examples of what you can do with javascript.

Edit: Actually, you should probably skip the first link on the Google search results ("The JavaScript Source") page I posted - Most of them aren't really games, and are very old, meaning that they won't work correctly on moder browsers. I mean, they even have my "Mouse Invaders" script, which I wrote several years ago and will only work on Internet Explorer 5 or Netscape 4 Rasp

The second link in the results page is better: http://plaza.harmonix.ne.jp/~jimmeans/
The code is also very old, but it seems to work fine on modern browsers.
Breakout
A basic "3D-ish" racing game
A flight/combat simulator
...and many more. Smile

(Note: if the keys don't seem to work, just click once on the game area to give it focus.)
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Yucky.....
well I also made a RPG and play it on simpletext alone: it works like this:

....D....................
...........@.........p.....
........U...................

You play both you character and the AI: you are the @, and you have to kill the monsters (In this case a Greater Hell Beast (U), an Ancient Green Dragon (D) and Robin Hood, the Outlaw (p)

Obviously you have no limit to what you can invent so it's ultimately the most flexible and great RPG ever!!

So then you move your character, as you wish, you can make all the spells you wish like fireballs, major evocations, globe of invulnerability etc.

I play it all day long Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
FreakSoftware Wrote:Yucky.....

Well, he said he wanted to use SimpleText, and couldn't download anything other than web pages so... what other choices does he have? Huh
You could write a Choose Your Own Adventure type game with SimpleText.

Hey, I did it. (Okay it was with ClarisWorks and I sketched pictures by hand with colored pencil.. but it could have been SimpleText just the same.)

-Jon

From a MUD I wrote on...
Quote: Near a grove of vegetation
The trail winds around large obsidian rocks that cast great cooling shadows perfect for exhausted critters to take a rest under. Desert vegetation is scarce, the ground is mostly cracked sandy dirt and obsidian rocks. The desert animals tend to stay out of the open, in fear of the many predators that hunt the region. Far to the north is a clump of green, and the desert, seemingly endless, continues to the south. However, just south is a patch of vegetation and what looks to be a large cactus.

Be creative with your tools!
Sage
aarku: that sounds well good!
This is why I cant write RPGs, I really really want to write a decent one but I just dont have the vocabulary or english skills.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Zander
Unregistered

Thanks.......

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Sage
Hey man, its you who needs to put the work in. You cant expect other people to make decisions for you.

Zander
Unregistered

I know i am going to........ evenutally.......................
Works fine for me. Maybe you folks need to read the manual.

[Image: Compile.jpg]

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Zander
Unregistered

How did you get the compile option in the TextEdit??
At this point, where you only know HTML, you aren't going to be able to do anything near what you want. However, that doesn't mean that you can't have that goal in mind. What you should do is set up a multi-step goal: First, you need to learn how to program. Once you move, update your system software and get the latest development tools. Then, figure out what languages you want to learn. C derivatives are the most widely used languages, and almost every language barrows from it one way or another, so that's a must learn. C++ is also a good language to learn, and Cocoa is a good one for Mac programming. Java is also decent for a simple language, but I'm not too fond of it personally. I suggest getting a book, and pay very close attention to the fundamentals. If you learn C first, and get the fundamentals of that, then you're pretty well off. Once you learn the fundamentals of object-oriented design, then you're golden. Also, be sure to practice to make sure you are proficient. Note that this isn't going to happen in a few weeks: it will most likely take you a few years. Be sure to learn basics such as data structures (trees, lists, etc.) as they will help greatly for just about everything.

After you learn the basics of programming, learn a graphics API. I suggest OpenGL, since you can use it for both 2D and 3D, is very scalable, and is multi-platform. This also won't be quick, but it will get you very close to your goal.

After you get that done, you will most likely be ready to start a game engine. However, in order to make an MMOPRG, you will most likely need a team, as well as servers available. (which will get to be expensive) If you are still determined to go through all these steps, I'd suggest something more like a regular RPG, since it won't require the networking, servers, etc. However, an MMORPG is still within reach. Just don't be surprised if it takes years to prepare, then years to make.
Sage
And have fun, because programming is fun.
(unless you have to do it)

Zander
Unregistered

Thanks (for like the third time lol)
Zander
Unregistered

Ok one last question does anyone know where I can download a FREE compiler?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Beginning Game Programming" - game engine skrew 5 6,073 May 15, 2006 03:52 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond