Game Engine

Zander
Unregistered

I am thinking about making a 2-D game engine but I don't know where to start. I am thinking about using Simple Text (I am moving..... my computer is packed somewhere so I am using my cousins' computer.....in other words they won't let me download anything)

I don't know what language to use......
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Using Simple Text for what?
To write to code for the engine?
What wont they let you download?

You could use any language you like, it depends on your preference, If you dont know any languages yet you could try having a look at this: http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9744
Download the build, try looking at the scripts and then changing them slighlty until you can see whats going on. Lua is a very clear language and it should make sense.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Zander
Unregistered

I can't download anything.................. what I need is a tutorial....... can you help?
What programming experience do you have?
What sort of tutorial are you trying to find?
What kind of game are you planning to write? (Platform, RPG, puzzle, etc.)

- Alex Diener
Sage
Your downloading this message right now, You can't make a game engine in simpletext you need a compiler too.

SimpleText?

Are you on OS 9 or do you have Text edit aswell?

Do you have developer tools? If you don't, you're pretty screwed with no GCC. You can, ofcourse, use applescript. Where would be the fun in that?
Zander
Unregistered

I'm very good with HTML but that can't be used (It's only a markup language). Hmmm..... i can't remember any others I know.... it's been a while since I did any programming. I Want to make a game engine in Lua.
It's going to be a 2-D MMORPG (something like Ultima Online)

On this computer (my cousins' computer) there is Simpletext (it's OS is 9.2) but I'm not sure about TextEdit. Wait a minute..... you can make a game engine in TextEdit???!!! The Mac OSX they have over here has TextEdit.
Sage
The link I gave you was to a Lua Grid based 2D Game engine, theres source code for it too, but you can change the lua scripts in simple text and you dont need to compile them.

⌘-R in Chief
You can't do anything in Text Edit or Simple Text other than write text. That's all they do. You need a compiler........ in other words Xcode (Mac OS X)........... to do anything else.
Zander
Unregistered

Thanks!!!!!!!
Sage
Well you can write lua scripts.....

I'd recommend reading this post. It may seem a little bit harsh, but we've seen this sort of thing a thousand times. An MMORPG is probably the worst possible first project. Start small, work your way up, and you'll get there someday. Just don't expect it to be tomorrow.

- Alex Diener
Did anyone else get a little chuckle out of him wanting to make a MMORPG when he dosnt know what langauges he knows, cant download (still cant figure that out), and wants to program in simple text. Can you fill me in on how you want to make a MMORPG when you cant even download?

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I did too Smile

I figure that he's on a machine that his cousin/uncle/aunt won't let him download anything, not that he can't or anything.

Basically, it's not going to happen. The end. Wait until you've moved, then install development tools.
Sage
I figured he was like 8 so gave him a game to play that might help him learn some basics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Beginning Game Programming" - game engine skrew 5 5,812 May 15, 2006 03:52 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond