How many people here are interested in Unity?

To clarify on the markets, here's what we're thinking:

* Indie gamedevs (e.g. idevgames)
* Director3D users have been stuck without an upgrade for ages. We're seeing people switch to mac from PC to get a go on Unity.
* Educational market is large (Games edu is the fastest growing curricular area in the world ;-)
* Ad agencies are starting to notice that teenagers don't care for flash-quality games. Looking for the next big thing to get the kids to want a BMW. Or join the Army.
* A few other ones that are more cool than profitable (IMAX projections, anyone?)

Add these together and Unity makes sense from a profit standpoint by itself.

We do games mainly for 2 reasons:
1) that has been my reason for making Unity all along.
2) Pushing innovation into Unity. Our internal game team is always one version ahead of the current public one.

Also, doing games convinces larger places that Unity can carry the burden. Think the same as GooBall - multiplied by 10 for each title. (or some other random number). As you can see elsewhere on this board, we're even hiring developers for our next upcoming title.

Nicholas Francis
http://www.otee.dk
Quote this message in a reply
I'd like it if the Unity demo period was longer.

Just thought I'd share.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
ggadwa Wrote:Is iGame3D going PC only?
[>] Brian
Hmm? When I have to get a PC for school iGame3D can actually be looked at on PC for more than saying: "yep it runs, check out the screenshot of fonts gone to hell". Aside from that perhaps you mistook Anark which no longer makes a Mac version for iGame3D in my above post?? ShineBug which swept UDG last year was made in Anark, Charles won a Unity license and now he works for Anark. Dawn of the Derby which took first in 21 Days Later: Accelerator was prototyped by Charles in Anark and finished in iGame3D, just for a point of reference.

AnotherJake Wrote:True. My wallet is a big fat chicken after going through Torque.
Well Garage Games took my $100 too, Maybe the Unity guys can offer a $50 "Burned by Torque" license trade in deal or something, or can we sell our Torque licenses on ebay?
perhaps the unity demo could half a fully featured for X days, and then after that you can't save your project in any way... or something... I don't know.
I also think the Unity demo needs to last longer. It lasted just long enough for me to experience having my little sphere roll uphill for some reason which is still unclear to me :-/

[side]Actually it might be better if the demo was simply not time limited. It could instead be distribution limited. Have the apps it creates only run on the originating system... this will allow people to create their entire game to satisfaction and then pay when they're ready to ship.[/side]

My other problem with Unity is the delivery... it is a complete development package from scripting to app. I cannot have it export a library which I can link into my existing application, hence the possibilities of extensibility and customization seemed limiting. In short, you're not buying a 3D engine, you're buying a 3D game creation application.

Quote: Ad agencies are starting to notice that teenagers don't care for flash-quality games.

Possibly, but someone tried this a few years back (WildTangent/WildMagic if I remember correctly). I don't think it worked out for them... but I don't know off hand.
KittyMac Wrote:[side]Actually it might be better if the demo was simply not time limited. It could instead be distribution limited. Have the apps it creates only run on the originating system... this will allow people to create their entire game to satisfaction and then pay when they're ready to ship.[/side]

Think about that for a moment...

If Torque was sold with that method, how many sales would they have? Very very few. Do you see? If everybody who had bought Torque succeeded in making a game, the market would be flooded. This also means that if only the people who succeeded in making a game had bought Torque, GarageGames would be long gone.
KittyMac Wrote:I also think the Unity demo needs to last longer. It lasted just long enough for me to experience having my little sphere roll uphill for some reason which is still unclear to me
The OTEE guys are occasionally willing to give a demo period extension. Might be worth asking if you still need a bit more time to figure something out or to assess it a bit further.

You might want to check the Unity forum or IRC channel if you need some help to figure out why your balls aren't rolling the right way. Wink

Quote:My other problem with Unity is the delivery... it is a complete development package from scripting to app. I cannot have it export a library which I can link into my existing application, hence the possibilities of extensibility and customization seemed limiting. In short, you're not buying a 3D engine, you're buying a 3D game creation application.
In my experience so far, that's a good thing. I haven't yet found the need to do anything outside of the Unity IDE, even though I'm only using the Indie version. The .NET framework has a lot of built-in functionality to allow you to implement things which aren't covered by Unity itself, such as networking. Also, the Pro version supports native code plugins and arbitrary GL calls.

If you really want your Unity game to live inside a different application wrapper, that's not possible. However, working within Unity's feature set will take you a very long way.

Incidentally, if you're wondering what I'm doing with Unity, I'm currently making a new version of my uDevGames 2004 entry, Rescue. Here's an interesting comparison: in the original version, I wrote 15500 lines of C++. In Unity, I have written 580 lines of C# so far and it has almost all the main features from the original version, plus some significant extra ones. I'd say that's a strong point in its favour. Smile

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MMORPG. Well under way. Need to hire Experienced People ebizcraftsman 0 2,919 Dec 31, 2009 07:56 AM
Last Post: ebizcraftsman
  The making of THE MMORPG (looking for people with skills) DigitalMindz 34 12,852 Oct 9, 2005 03:44 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  how many people would be interested in a Cocoa networking framework? kelvin 14 6,669 Nov 25, 2003 03:41 PM
Last Post: aarku