Big poll on FPS sub-genres

For the three people here who don't visit slashdot,

http://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=1295&aid=-1

Currently Multiplayer Team FPS' are in the lead. It's what I voted for, as I loved playing the old CounterStrike so much with friends.

Now, what are some FPS genres that have been looked over, here?

-Jon
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Make that 4, I didnt vote because theres no option for Got bored of fps because there too simple and rubbish.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sage
Make that 5, I voted for Single Player Strategy. Absolutely loved Deus Ex. It's the only reason I keep OS9 around on my system.
Sage
My fave was Q3 cos I found this ModSDK for X and made the railgun reflect of walls and it was sooo funny, shooting down corridors annihilating eveyone.

Marathon! Rasp

After that, Q3Test. Not Quake 3, Q3Test. It rocked when it was all Mac users. Seriously- 1 model, 2 maps, half the guns, and it ruled. Plus everyone on Cox Cablemodem here in Vegas was considered to be on the same LAN. Bliss.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Sage
Q3Test, never saw that. Sounds pretty cool though more like a community where you kill your friends instead of complete strangers LOL

Voted for single player strategy, as although I loved the original Dark Forces, and Marathon Infinity, I loved Deus Ex more! Now, if only System Shock 2 had been released for the Mac...

@unknown: Q3Test was the first public beta of Quake 3, and also made a litle history, and stirred up a lot of emotion, by being released first for the Mac.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
One thing that may be interesting in an FPS is the notion that you are not necessarily good at using a particular weapon. There are RPGs with "learn by using" skill systems that may be interesting to mix in. They have measures to prevent skill spamming from working and the system eventually peaks itself out. (If there is no challenge, you don't learn in the system) Now that starts to get out of the genre.

So what FPS ideas are left? The genre seems pretty done to death from the surface, but there has to be a gooey nougat of originality in there somewhere..

-Jon
JustinFic Wrote:Marathon! Rasp

After that, Q3Test. Not Quake 3, Q3Test. It rocked when it was all Mac users. Seriously- 1 model, 2 maps, half the guns, and it ruled. Plus everyone on Cox Cablemodem here in Vegas was considered to be on the same LAN. Bliss.

Agreed on both counts. On my 333 MHz G3... ooh was that good times.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.