"Everyone" likes cartoon-like worlds?

Fruity
Unregistered

I just had a look at this new game, Dofus. Imo there are too few of the games with such simple, yet impressive cartoon-like graphics. It seems to me it is easier to make funny, good games this way. What do you think about this? Do you find it annoying to wander around in a cartoon-world, or does it often enhance other aspects of the gaming experience? (when used in the right games, of course).
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Waiting for email, I said "word of mouth" for how i heard about it.
Personally I prefer this sort of style to realistic ones. Smile I think the art in this is freaking awesome looking.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
My preference depends on the genre. For a stealth action game like Splinter Cell then realistic graphics is the only way to go. For an adventure or RPG it could really go either way. I *really* like the graphics of this Dofus (signed up for the beta, and there's a Mac online version, yay!) and similar cartoony games (Zelda: Wind Waker, World of Warcraft, etc). But there's something to be said for more realistic styles as well.

I think the most important thing is to have *stylized* graphics that set you apart from other games. Look at FFX or Fable or even Gears of War. FFX and Fable are more realistic than your standard cartoony fare, but they don't go for absolute realism. While Gears of War is trying to be as realistic as possible, but the architecture in the game is this strange techno-gothic that sets it apart from say, Half-Life 2.

But I digress. There's a lot of studies that show that non-realistic artwork is more effective than absolute realism. If you want a funny game or even an engaging character-based game, a non-realistic cartoony style should definitely be explored.
Sage
I like cel shaded in some scenarios as well. Not necessarily genres. I don't like Zelda as cel-shaded (can't wait for Twilight Princess Smile) but XIII was so incredible cool as a cel-shaded game. I actually wish I could finally get cel-shading to work in my games. Heck I wish I could do lighting but that's for another thread.
Sage
Fruity
Unregistered

Nick Wrote:I like cel shaded in some scenarios as well. Not necessarily genres. I don't like Zelda as cel-shaded (can't wait for Twilight Princess Smile) but XIII was so incredible cool as a cel-shaded game. I actually wish I could finally get cel-shading to work in my games. Heck I wish I could do lighting but that's for another thread.

Cel Shading can be very cool. I never played Zelda Windwaker, but it looks great to me. But I wonder, is the only theory behind cel-shading that everything is split into larger "cells" that is coloured with the same colour, instead of the normal use of gradients? Or is there any more theory to it?
That link is a great hack for it's time... as soon as we have GLSL there will be far more options for cartoony graphics available to us.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Fruity Wrote:Cel Shading can be very cool. I never played Zelda Windwaker, but it looks great to me. But I wonder, is the only theory behind cel-shading that everything is split into larger "cells" that is coloured with the same colour, instead of the normal use of gradients? Or is there any more theory to it?
The reason it is called Cel-Shading is because back in the day of cartoons, they were drawn on see though plastic known as cells, so they could see through to the previous frame, and also so they could position the backgrounddifferently in relationship to the camera etc.

There are a few ways that cel shading can be achieved, one is indeed the way that it is rendered, bright colours that contrast each other, such as a reflection; no gradients that sort of thing. An other is a shader on things to get rid of the gradient as before, and to add lines around objects. One thing that XIII had, for example, was a big black line drawn around the edges of main features on UV textures.
Sage
Hey, i just though of somthing pretty cool, you could use raster textures in combination with a cell shader to draw graphics just like a comic strip.
Like when someone has a checked shirt and it doesnt follow the 3d contours of thier body.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Fruity Wrote:But I wonder, is the only theory behind cel-shading that everything is split into larger "cells" that is coloured with the same colour, instead of the normal use of gradients? Or is there any more theory to it?
most cell shading algorithms also traces the edges of the model with a black line to make it look like someone drew an outline of the shape first and then colored it in.
I registered for OB too, looks fun...and interesting. The best thing about cartoons is that you can do whatever you want without going overboard, unlike in movies like Godzilla...but that's my opinion, and cartoons can be fun to work with to me...oh well, I'm going off-topic aren't I?

EDIT: in my opinion, it was funny to see Link in a new perspective such as he Windwaker...I also liked XIII although I only played the first level...

EDIT2: Bachus, WoW isn't that cartoony...

-Matt

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Nick - the thing that was impressive about XIII wasnt really the cartoon renderer as much as how they worked other comix design elements into the game.

But I loved Zelda Wind Waker - I think some of the dig against it is from people who are fans of Zelda and didnt want to see him all cartoony. Ive seen a lot of lava in games - but the cartoon lava in WW was just lovely for instance.
Max
codemattic Wrote:But I loved Zelda Wind Waker - I think some of the dig against it is from people who are fans of Zelda and didnt want to see him all cartoony. Ive seen a lot of lava in games - but the cartoon lava in WW was just lovely for instance.
The lava in Resident Evil 4 kicks ass. Best ever, on all consoles. Anyway I agree, the graphics in Zelda Wind Waker are wonderful and the animations are superb. I admire all the subtle animations Nintendo put in the game (wind, fireflies, dust, plants, etc.). Only complaint - the environments are too simple. Need more details.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Blorx2 Wrote:EDIT2: Bachus, WoW isn't that cartoony...

Yea, it's not real cartoony. But it is very stylized and far from the realistic norm that you see in a lot of games. You can tell that Blizzard is a company of artists.

Everquest II (realistic): 250,000 subscribers
WoW (cartoony (sorta)): 2 million subscribers

Cartoony graphics may not necessarily bring *in* the customers, but they certainly don't turn off the average gamer if the gameplay is there.