So you want to make a MMORPG

Apprentice
ok , im here because i want to make a mmorpg (as im sure you all are) thing is im here to ask you if anyone can be part of my team ( i want to learn programing whilst making an mmo not before ) i guess ill be a bit of a designer/writer instead of programmer im only 13 at the moment so plz if anyone is interested ill post the story here (im still developing it) thx Rasp Grin
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I recommend reading the first post in this thread...
I do not understand the fascination with MMOG and why so many people want to make them.

The way I see it, a MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) is really just a simple sort of game. In terms of gameplay elements, it realy contains very little. You have some sort of combat system, some sort of quest system, item collection, and that is it. There is minimal AI, and all the other gameplay elements are provided by other players.

I know many people will say that this is wrong, but in my opinion, a MMOG is more like a virtual chat program. Yes, you do have some gameplay elements, but a large majority of the facination is with interacting with other people. So when writing a MMOG, you need to know about game coding for one thing, but you also really need to have a good understanding of networking code and chat protocols, etc.

Finally, with the large giant that is World of Warcraft, many smaller MMOG's do not stand a chance. You will probably have better luck making a good single player or even a puzzle game to build up a fanbase before even thinking about a MMOG.

Personally, I have more fun with a good single player experience than any MMOG could ever offer.

AGhost
Apprentice
lol. i understand what you said about reading the first post (wich i have extensively) but as i said i would rather be involved in art and story i was just asking if anyone here has a passion(?) for coding and would like to help my idea at least try to exist. thank you for your timeBored
Luminary
I think you still haven't read point 2 or point 4 of the first post.
Apprentice
Joseph Duchesne Wrote:1. Learn to program, at least to a certain degree. This will put your idea's feasability into perspective with your resources. It will also improve your credability.

4. When the oppertunity arises, begin your MMORPG. Read: Not today, tomorrow, or even next month. I began programming when I was 8. You can do it too. I now know 13 distinct programming languages to varying degrees, and I am not even done my second game. It's 8 years later. I don't claim to be wise, or even talented, but I believe that I have improved somewhat and am closer to my goal of making a full RPG some day. It's a passion of mine. I'm also going to start it next summer. This stuff takes time.

ok ill admit i scan read it so ill apologise "sorry onesadcookie* *hands onesadcokie a rather happier cookie as an offer of freindship * but as i said i would like to start just as a developer (but to please you people i am *attempting* to learn javascript and am writing an application wich says hello world ( F*** off world would probably be more apropriate)(i hope that doesnt count as swearing Sad ) now would anyone like to hear the ideas so far ( oh and if this helps my credibility ive got the son of the coowner of final fantasy on my teamSmileGrin) ( by the way i dont care how simple it is so long as its playable (runescape graphics at least though...))
Luminary
No, nobody wants to hear your ideas for an MMORPG when you can't program, have no artistic talent, and are unable to write coherent, grammatically correct English.

Go away and learn at least one of the above three skills.

Ideas for MMORPGs are a dime a dozen, and most of them come from people with just as few applicable skills as you. People will sit up and listen when you prove you have one of those skills. People will listen for longer when you prove you have one of those skills and substantial financial backing.

Until then, actually read points 2 and 4 of the first post to this thread. Not "quote 1 and 4 in a reply to this thread", "read 2 and 4 and understand their meaning and implications".
Quote: "sorry onesadcookie* *hands onesadcokie a rather happier cookie as an offer of freindship *
Nobody jokes with OSC's name and lives to tell it.

BTW ironc how this thread seems to encourage noobs instead of dissuading them Grin

And... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i+w...gle+Search

Not good Rasp

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Sage
hahahha, oh things cant get much worse.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Najdorf Wrote:Nobody jokes with OSC's name and lives to tell it.
OneSadCookieMonster attack!!!

[Personal note to OSC: See, this is a *good* time to throw rocks Smile Grenades would be okay too... tactical nuclear weapons might even be deemed appropriate]

Quote:BTW ironc how this thread seems to encourage noobs instead of dissuading them Grin

And... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i+w...gle+Search

Not good Rasp
Gives new twisted meaning to the phrase: Build it and they will come.

I was under the impression that page ranking is based upon how many links there are to that topic. In that sense it would not necessarily be bad... but at the *top* of google?! [shudder]
One thing's for sure: if you come here, you'll get no shortage of reality. Force-fead, if need be. Wink
Najdorf Wrote:Nobody jokes with OSC's name and lives to tell it.

I did... once Wink.
Najdorf Wrote:BTW ironc how this thread seems to encourage noobs instead of dissuading them Grin
Maybe we should lock it, so they can only read it?

Alex
Sage
I just like how this thread has an order of magnitude more views than any other thread on the forum. That tells you something I think.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
DoG
Skorche Wrote:I just like how this thread has an order of magnitude more views than any other thread on the forum. That tells you something I think.

Yea, that this topic+newbies = comedy gold Rasp
Apprentice
oy im no noob! *shys away nervously as the fact dawns on him that maybe he is a bit noobish at times* ok so you may be right maybe i should be better at programming before i posted on this forum. but i could bet money (but i wont ) that 80% percent of you did exactly the same thing when you first got into programming . also i wouldnt make a crack about my artwork when you havent even seen it! (anyway artistic talent doesnt technically exist since a baby scribbling on a peice of paper could be considered an artistic talent)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No, I do not want to make an MMORPG but please tell me how long this would take filfil96 4 4,443 Apr 21, 2009 03:09 AM
Last Post: filfil96
  So you want to make a MMORPG? Joseph Duchesne 0 14,332 Apr 6, 2006 12:17 PM
Last Post: Joseph Duchesne